Harvey Chen is a counsel with the firm's Intellectual Property (IP) group. He focuses his practice on all aspects of IP matters with an emphasis on patent procurement, strategy planning and counseling, and litigation support for electrical and mechanical arts. He also provides trademark consultation and registration services to his clients.
In representing his clients, Harvey has developed a wide spectrum of technical knowledge related to consumer electronics, embedded system, digital and analog circuit design, IC manufacturing, telecommunication and computer network, computer architecture, cloud computing and big data processing, distributed database, machine learning, unmanned vehicle, light detection and ranging, and medical device. A licensed private pilot, he is generally knowledgeable about engine design, aeronautical system and avionics.
Harvey has extensively drafted and prosecuted U.S. and foreign patent applications, including conducting invention disclosure meetings, examiner interviews and negotiations, as well as appellate proceedings. He helps companies of different sizes shape their patent portfolios and develop their IP strategies. He formulates patent mining strategies and performs patent analyses in due diligence projects for corporate transactions. Harvey provides support of patent litigation and post-grant proceedings, including preparing infringement and invalidity claim charts, performing prior art searches and providing client strategic consultation.
While working toward his master’s degree, Harvey was a member of the Microsystems Design Labs at the Pennsylvania State University, and his research result was published in an IEEE paper. Before coming to the United States, he worked as an engineer at Philips Semiconductors. He also served in the Taiwan Army as a second lieutenant artillery officer.
Harvey is fluent in spoken and written Mandarin Chinese and Taiwanese. With his language skills, Harvey is experienced in helping Asian companies navigate through various kinds of legal issues in the United States.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Asian American Bar Association, Member
- Capital Pro Bono High Honor Roll, Member, 2014 - 2015, 2017
- Institute of Law for Science and Technology, National Tsing Hua University (Taiwan), Adjunct Faculty, 2018
- Mahamedi Paradice Kreisman LLP, San Jose, CA, Associate, 2011 - 2013
- Firich USA Inc., Fremont, CA, Contract Legal Consultant, 2010
- Jones Day, Taipei, Taiwan, Summer Associate, 2008
- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) Ltd., Legal Intern, 2008
- Philips Semiconductors, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Equipment Engineer, 2005