Freya Bowen is counsel in the firm's Insurance Recovery Litigation and Appellate practices. She has represented corporate clients, governmental entities and individuals in state and federal trial and appellate courts, before state administrative agencies, and in arbitrations and mediations. Her insurance coverage practice involves representing policyholders in disputes with their insurance carriers under a range of different types of policies, including directors’ and officers’ liability, fidelity bonds, professional liability, media liability, cyber-risk and employee benefits liability. Her recent representations include seeking insurance coverage for liabilities related to the Bernard Madoff Ponzi scheme, seeking coverage for a major healthcare provider for losses arising out if its managed care activities, and seeking coverage for a financial services company for ERISA liabilities arising out of its investment management operations.
As an appellate lawyer, Freya has represented clients before the Wisconsin Supreme Court, the Wisconsin Court of Appeals, the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Seventh, Ninth, Eleventh and District of Columbia Circuits, as well as the California Court of Appeals.
Freya's pro bono practice has included representing a criminal defendant in a direct appeal before U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, a death row inmate before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit in a civil rights action seeking DNA evidence, a criminal defendant bringing a habeas petition before the Wisconsin Court of Appeals for ineffective assistance of counsel, a tenant in an unlawful detainer action, a non-profit organization opposing a motion brought under California's anti-Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participants (SLAPP) statute, and children needing their adoptions finalized.
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Appellate Practice Section Board
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association, Board of Governors
- Henry Vilas Park Zoological Society Board
- St. Andrews Episcopal Church Finance Committee
- Quarles & Brady, LLP, Madison, WI, Commercial Litigation Group
- Munger, Tolles & Olson, LLP, Los Angeles, CA, Litigation Group
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, LLP, Los Angeles, CA, Litigation Group
- The Lindesmith Center Drug Policy Foundation, Office of Legal Affairs, San Francisco, CA, Legal Intern
- Judicial Extern to the Hon. Maxine M. Chesney, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
Hon. Sidney Thomas, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit