Eric Miller focuses on Supreme Court and appellate litigation. He has presented more than 50 appellate arguments, including 15 in the Supreme Court of the United States. Most recently, in Lewis v. Clarke, 137 S. Ct. 1285 (2017), he obtained a unanimous decision establishing that the sovereign immunity of an Indian tribe does not bar damages actions against tribal employees.
Before joining Perkins Coie, Eric served for more than five years as an Assistant to the Solicitor General of the United States. In that capacity, he represented the government in the Supreme Court in numerous cases in a wide range of fields, including communications, energy, employment, and administrative law. In 2008, he was awarded the Attorney General's Distinguished Service Award for his conduct of national-security litigation.
Eric previously served as Deputy General Counsel of the Federal Communications Commission, where he managed the litigation division of the Commission's Office of General Counsel, which is responsible for defending the Commission's orders in federal courts of appeals. He has also served on the Appellate Staff of the Civil Division of the United States Department of Justice and in the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel.
Eric has served as a part-time lecturer at the University of Washington School of Law, including teaching Supreme Court Decision Making in the spring quarter of 2017.
- Ranked by Chambers USA, in Appellate Law, 2014 - present
- Ninth Circuit Appellate Lawyer Representative
- Washington Appellate Lawyers Association, Member
- United States Department of Justice, Office of the Solicitor General, Washington, D.C., Assistant to the Solicitor General, 2007 - 2012
- Federal Communications Commission, Office of General Counsel, Washington, D.C., Deputy General Counsel, 2006 - 2007
- United States Department of Justice, Washington, D.C., Appellate Staff, Civil Division, Attorney, 2004 - 2006; 2001 - 2003
- United States Department of Justice, Washington, D.C., Office of Legal Counsel, Attorney - Adviser, 2003 - 2004
Hon. Clarence Thomas, Supreme Court of the United States
Hon. Laurence Silberman, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit