David McShea's practice focuses on the representation of startups, high-growth technology companies, public companies and venture capital firms. In more than 20 years of practice, he has handled numerous significant transactions, including the initial public offerings of Amazon.com and Zillow Inc., mergers and acquisitions, public equity and debt financings, and venture capital financings. David is co-author of The Initial Public Offering Handbook: A Guide for Entrepreneurs, Executives, Directors and Private Investors (2016). David has been honored four times as “Lawyer of the Year” in Seattle in corporate law practice areas, and is top-ranked in Band 1 by Chambers USA. He has served as Chair of the Firmwide Executive Committee since 2016.
David has represented several leading companies through high-growth stages and IPOs. He represented aQuantive Inc. from incorporation through its IPO, numerous acquisitions and its sale to Microsoft for $6.3 billion. He has represented Amazon.com from private company through IPO and post-IPO mergers and acquisitions. David's corporate clients include Amazon.com, Algorithmia, Avalara, Highspot, Seattle Bank, Seeq, SkyKick and Zillow. In addition, David represents several venture capital firms.
David speaks and writes on emerging issues related to startups, IPOs, corporate governance and venture capital finance.
- Named "Lawyer of the Year 2017 - Corporate Law," "Lawyer of the Year 2015 - Securities/Capital Markets Law," "Lawyer of the Year 2014 - Mergers and Acquisitions Law" and "Lawyer of the Year 2012 - Securities/Capital Markets Law" in Seattle by Best Lawyers
- Recognized in the 2007 – 2017 editions of Chambers USA: “America’s Leading Lawyers for Business” in which clients said, “in terms of client service, he’s second to none,” and described David as “not just a great lawyer technically, but also a classic business advisor.”
- One of "The Top 100 Super Lawyers" in Washington State, Washington Law & Politics, 2009, 2010
- Named as a "Super Lawyer" by Super Lawyers Magazine, 2003 - present
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2007 - Present: Corporate Law; Mergers & Acquisitions Law; Securities/Capital Markets Law; Venture Capital Law
- Selected for The Best Lawyers in Washington State, in corporate law, venture capital law, mergers and acquisitions and securities law
- Named as a "Top Lawyer" for venture capital by Washington CEO
- One of the "500 Leading Lawyers in America" (Lawdragon, 2007)
- Washington Technology Industry Association, Board of Directors, 2009 - 2015
- National Association of Corporate Directors
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Washington State Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Association for Corporate Growth (Seattle Chapter), Board of Directors, 2002 - 2003
- MIT Enterprise Forum, Board Member, 1997 - 1998
- The William D. Ruckelshaus Center, Advisory Board, 2015 - present
- Seattle Theatre Group, Board of Directors, 2015 - present
- The Seattle Public Library Foundation, President, 2010 - 2011; Board of Directors, 2002 - 2013
- Princeton University, Campaign for Princeton, Regional Steering Committee, 2007 - 2012
- Pratt Fine Arts Center, Board of Trustees, 1998 - 2000
- Shepherd’s Counseling Service, Board of Directors, 1997 - 1999