Associate Cassandra Abernathy has experience with a variety of intellectual property issues, focusing on design patents, trademarks, and trade dress prosecution and litigation. Cass conducts extensive litigation research, drafts pre-trial motions in limine, prepares trial briefs and writes patent applications and Office Action responses to the USPTO.
Before earning her J.D. from Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, Cass worked as a technical engineer for Procter & Gamble, which informs her counsel to clients in the consumer products and food and beverage industries.
Cass is a two-time recipient of the Sidney B. Williams Jr. Intellectual Property Law Scholarship and was selected for the Hispanic National Bar Association Intellectual Property Law Institute in 2015.
As part of her pro bono practice, Cass focuses on prisoners’ rights and death penalty defense. In her free time, she is a figurative and portrait sculptor.
- Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law Bluhm Legal Clinic, Chicago, IL, Center for Capital Defense, 2015 - 2017
- Perkins Coie, Chicago, IL, Law Clerk, 2016, Summer Associate, 2015, 2016
- Mayer Brown, Summer Associate, 2015
- Richards Patent Law, Law Clerk and Patent Agent, 2014 - 2016
- Procter & Gamble, Technical Engineer, 2011 - 2014, Intern, 2009, 2010