Breena Roos, a senior counsel in the firm’s Commercial Litigation practice, focuses her practice on food litigation, class action defense and intellectual property, with an emphasis on bringing a rational business approach and achieving efficient judicial resolutions. She has represented a broad range of clients in high priority cases involving consumer protection, unfair competition, California’s Proposition 65, copyright infringement, Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) liability and defense, trademark infringement and contract disputes.
Breena has served as trial counsel in matters in United States District Court, obtaining favorable outcomes for her clients. She has substantial experience in all aspects of litigation, including pretrial motions, discovery, class certification, summary judgment and mediation.
Breena is a contributing author and editor to the firm's food litigation blog, Food Litigation News. In her active pro bono practice, she has worked on matters ranging from large class actions to immigration and asylum matters. In a notable recent matter, Breena was trial counsel in Wilbur v. City of Mount Vernon, which challenged the misdemeanor public defense system in the cities of Mount Vernon and Burlington, Washington. In this first trial involving a systemic challenge to the constitutionality of a public defense system, Breena and the trial team achieved a nationally noted court decision ordering major changes to how public defenders manage caseloads and represent misdemeanor defendants.
- Civil Libertarian Award, American Civil Liberties Union of Washington, 2014
- Champion for Justice Award, Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2014
- President's Award, Washington Defender Association, 2014
- Perkins Coie Pro Bono Team Award, 2013
- Listed in Washington Law & Politics, “Rising Stars of Washington Law,” 2010, 2012 - 2013
- Washington Young Lawyers Division, "Outstanding Young Lawyer Award," 2007
- Perkins Coie Pro Bono Award, 2005
- Metrocenter YMCA Board of Managers, 2013 - Present
- Downtown Seattle YMCA Board of Managers, 2011 - 2013
- Community for Youth, Volunteer Mentor, 2003 - 2007
- Perkins Coie LLP, Seattle, WA, Summer Associate, 2002
- Judicial Extern to The Hon. Thomas S. Zilly, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, 2001