Amanda Callais focuses her practice on political litigation. She represents voters, campaigns, political committees and activists at the state and federal level in actions related to elections, including redistricting and voting rights, as well as cases implicating important matters of First Amendment speech and association. In particular, Amanda has considerable experience successfully challenging repressive voting measures, including voter identification and registration laws, as well as other restrictions that make it more difficult for eligible voters to participate in their representative democracy. Amanda regularly achieves favorable outcomes in high-profile, complex cases, from the trial through appellate levels.
Amanda’s background includes assisting clients in the financial services sector with complex state and federal civil litigation and representing clients on antitrust-related matters and in investigations before government agencies and regulatory bodies. She also served as a law clerk for the Honorable Carl J. Barbier of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
Prior to beginning her legal career, Amanda was active in several political campaigns and causes. She served as canvass director for Kirsten Gillibrand’s 2008 run for Congress and as a field organizer for Hillary Clinton’s 2008 presidential bid. Amanda was also a policy associate and lobbyist for the Louisiana Maternal and Child Health Coalition.
Maintaining an active pro bono practice, Amanda recently assisted international law scholars and organizations in preparing U.S. Supreme Court and Fourth Circuit amicus briefs in high-profile immigration law cases. She has also helped immigrants obtain asylum and successfully represented blind federal contractors in a nationwide disability rights class action.
- D.C. Bar John C. Payton 2015 Leadership Academy, Member
- Women's Bar Association of D.C., Member, Former - Litigation Forum, Co-Chair
- American Bar Association, Member
- Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts Foundation, Board Member
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP, Washington, D.C., Summer Associate, 2011; Associate, 2013 - 2014
- Louisiana Maternal and Child Health Coalition, Baton Rouge, LA, Policy Associate; Lobbyist, 2009
- Kirsten Gillibrand for Congress, Clifton Park, NY, Canvass Director; GOTV Director, 2008
- Harry Teague for Congress, Las Cruces, NM, Western Field Director; Deputy Campaign Manager, 2008
- Hillary Clinton for President, Des Moines, IA, Field Organizer, 2007 - 2008
- Hon. Carl Barbier, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, 2012 - 2013