Adam Docks handles a wide range of complex real estate matters, placing a primary emphasis on the acquisition, disposition, development, management and financing of hotels. He has experience working with all of the major hotel brand companies and third-party operators, covering the full spectrum of hotel asset classes, both domestically and internationally.
Whether providing counsel to established hotel investors or guiding entrepreneurs in connection with their first hotel-related investments or developments, Adam efficiently helps his clients navigate all of the complexities associated with these unique transactions. Because many traditional real estate companies and multinational corporations have cross-border needs, Adam works in conjunction with local counsel to help clients acquire and develop hotels in other countries. Among other accomplishments, Adam has been identified by Chambers USA for four consecutive years as one of the leading hospitality lawyers in the United States.
Areas in which Adam provides counsel to clients include:
- Developments, acquisitions and dispositions
- Conventional, commercial mortgage-backed security (CMBS), mezzanine and construction financing
- Joint ventures
- Loan restructurings
- Hotel management agreements
- Franchise agreements
- Restaurant and spa management agreements
- Development agreements
- General corporate matters
Adam also has significant experience dealing with distressed hotel investments, and he regularly advises CMBS special servicers and opportunistic acquirers of debt in connection with the servicing, workout and restructuring of hotel loans. This work includes the negotiation of franchise agreements, hotel management agreements, deed-in-lieu transactions and the disposition of these assets on behalf of clients. Adam also represents receivers in their hotel receivership engagements, including the negotiation of receiver franchise agreements, hotel management agreements and receiver hotel sale agreements.
- Ranked by Leading Lawyer as an Emerging Lawyer in Illinois, 2015
- Ranked by Chambers USA as "America's Leading Lawyers for Leisure & Hospitality," 2013 - present
- Listed as an Illinois Rising Star as published by Law & Politics, 2013 - present
*The Supreme Court of Illinois does not recognize certifications of specialties in the practice of law and no certificate, award or recognition is a requirement to practice law in Illinois.
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP, Chicago, IL, Associate, 2004 - 2006; Summer Associate, 2003
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, Detroit, MI, Judicial Intern for the The Hon. Denise Page Hood, 2002
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Atlanta, GA, Legal Intern, 2002