Litigation veteran Adam H. Schuman provides strategic guidance, crisis management and legal counsel on complex and high-profile government, business, regulatory, compliance and public relations matters, including investigations by the U.S. Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, Senate and House committees and State Attorneys General. Adam has been at the epicenter of prominent and significant cases and issues, including as an Assistant U.S. Attorney conducting a securities fraud and money laundering trial arising out of the boiler room depicted in the film “The Wolf of Wall Street” and as a senior in-house counsel, steering Standard & Poor’s through the legal and regulatory tsunami of the 2008 financial meltdown.
Adam most recently served in the New York State Governor’s Office as Special Counsel for Public Integrity. He advised Governor Andrew M. Cuomo’s Executive Chamber on sensitive legal matters, managed the implementation of enterprise risk management processes, and oversaw a legal team focused on ethics, risk and compliance topics. As a former federal prosecutor, Adam has conducted several jury trials and led broad investigations into complex financial crimes involving securities fraud, money laundering, foreign currency fraud and healthcare fraud. Adam’s success as a criminal prosecutor was recognized by the U.S. Department of Justice with its Director’s Award for Superior Performance.
During his more than decade-long tenure at The McGraw-Hill Companies/Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services, Adam rose through the legal department ranks to become Executive Managing Director and Chief Legal Officer for S&P. Adam managed all litigation and regulatory matters globally, including the defense of the highly publicized DOJ lawsuit under FIRREA, SEC enforcement matters, and investigations by multiple State Attorneys General. He led an international team of 30 in-house attorneys, served as a member of the S&P Executive Committee and sat on S&P’s boards in the United States and the United Kingdom.
Adam played a central role in strengthening S&P’s framework for operations, management structure and governance following the financial crisis and new regulatory regimes in the United States and other jurisdictions. He was the lead in-house counsel on developing strategy and conducting interactions with Congress, the SEC and other global regulators (including as to S&P’s administration of Dodd-Frank reforms and independent board oversight). His effectiveness was recognized by the McGraw-Hill CEO with an Excellence in Leadership Award for “the best in performance, vision, innovation, dedication and integrity.”
As a civil litigator in private practice, Adam focused his prior work on commercial, real estate and employment litigation. And as an in-house counsel at McGraw-Hill, Adam provided legal guidance on numerous employment matters, including overseeing internal investigations of alleged discrimination and sexual harassment. Adam also trained members of McGraw-Hill’s human resources department across the United States on the proper conduct of internal investigations.
Additionally, Adam’s deep commitment to public service included his appointment as General Counsel of New York State Homes and Community Renewal (HCR). While there, he led over 100 attorneys providing counsel on multibillion-dollar housing finance portfolios, rent control regulations and housing subsidies. He managed HCR’s fair housing policy development and enforcement, and also served as an officer of several public benefit corporations.
A former law clerk for U.S. District Judge Loretta A. Preska of the Southern District of New York, Adam began his career in private practice and then served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York.
- Federal Bar Council Federal Criminal Practice Committee, Member, 2018 – present
- S&P Financial Services LLC, New York, NY, Board Member, 2014 - 2015; Secretary, 2010 - 2015
- S&P Credit Market Services Europe Limited, London, England, Board Member, 2012 - 2015
- New York State Governor's Office, Special Counsel for Public Integrity, 2016 - 2017
- New York State Homes and Community Renewal, General Counsel, 2015 - 2016
- The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. / Standard & Poor's Ratings Services
- Executive Managing Director and Chief Legal Officer for S&P, 2011 - 2015
- Executive Managing Director and Associate General Counsel for S&P Legal Affairs, 2008 - 2011
- Associate General Counsel, The McGraw-Hill Companies, 2003 - 2008
- U.S. Attorney's Office, Eastern District of New York, Brooklyn, NY, Assistant U.S. Attorney, 1999 - 2002
- Brooklyn Law School, Adjunct Assistant Clinical Professor of Law, 2002
- Corbin Silverman & Sanseverino LLP, New York, NY
- Partner, 1998 - 1999
- Associate, 1995 - 1998
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, New York, NY, Associate, 1991 - 1992; 1993 - 1995
- Honorable Loretta A. Preska, U.S. District Judge, New York, NY, Law Clerk, 1992 - 1993