Perkins Coie serves all of an employer’s workplace safety and health needs. We represent general industry, construction and mining clients in compliance issues, policy, legislative and regulatory matters, civil and criminal enforcement issues, accident investigations and whistleblower claims at both the federal and state levels.
We have extensive experience involving issues under the Occupational Safety and Health Act, the Federal Mine Safety and Health Act, the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration regulations, the Safe Explosives Act and other state and federal safety and health statutes. Our attorneys have particular experience with the interpretation and management of a wide variety of compliance and enforcement matters with federal and state safety and health agencies, including OSHA, MSHA, DOT, PHMSA, OPS, FRA, ATF, FAA and many others.
We focus on providing practical advice and representation with respect to all aspects of workplace health and safety, including:
- Representing employers in administrative, judicial and appellate safety and health enforcement proceedings
- Establishing safety and health programs (i.e., OHSAS development and implementation, preparation of site-specific compliance policies and plans, coordination and certification of employee training programs, etc.)
- Developing and implementing focused safety and health compliance audits
- Conducting internal investigations for employers and defending criminal or civil claims involving worker health and safety matters
- Assisting with the client’s response to workplace catastrophes and fatalities
- Representing management and employees during government investigations
- Preparing responses to grand jury subpoenas, civil demands or agency inquiries
- Providing compliance advice and interpretation of applicable requirements and obligations under a wide variety of safety and health rules and regulations
- Securing regulatory variances from federal or state agencies
- Preparing defense of retaliation or whistleblower claims
- Developing strategies for communications to media, management personnel and the company’s employees
Perkins Coie counsels our clients on health and safety matters in a wide variety of industries, including industrial manufacturing facilities, surface and underground mines, commercial businesses, large-scale data centers, construction sites, oil and gas processing plants, pipelines, electrical generation facilities, smelters and chemical plants. We provide counsel to our clients on the full spectrum of worker safety and health concerns, from interpretation of illness and injury reporting requirements to representation in catastrophic accident and fatality investigations, leading to and through any subsequent litigation.