Inventors, entrepreneurs and innovators turn to Perkins Coie's Patent practice for advice on how to protect their inventions and ideas. Our patent attorneys are particularly skilled in successfully preparing and prosecuting patent applications in anticipation of licensing opportunities and potential litigation.
We manage patent portfolios in a range of industries, including computer science, electronics, semiconductors, telecommunications, life sciences and biotechnology, medical devices, aerospace, and consumer products. Having filed over 6,000 new patent applications in the past two years on behalf of our clients, our patent attorneys are particularly skilled in successfully preparing and prosecuting patent applications in anticipation of licensing opportunities and potential litigation. The services we provide include:
- Counseling relating to IP portfolio development and management;
- Diligence on mergers, acquisitions and securities offerings;
- Domestic and international patent preparation and prosecution before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office;
- Performing right-to-use analysis and counseling relating to design-arounds;
- Preparing legal opinions concerning patent invalidity and noninfringement;
- Academic technology transfer, specifically working with technology transfer offices in assessing patentability, preparing and prosecuting patent applications and supervising foreign prosecution.
We have more than 125 lawyers and agents in the National Patent Practice who are registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Many of our practitioners have significant industry experience as practicing engineers or scientists, or hold advanced degrees in their technical fields. Several of our attorneys are former patent examiners at the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office or worked as in-house patent counsel at FORTUNE 500 corporations before entering private practice.