Perkins Coie’s Media & Entertainment Litigation practice benefits from the firm’s unique experience representing clients in many facets of these converging industries. Perkins Coie’s prowess with new media and intellectual property is well known, and our reputation in more traditional forms of media and entertainment is quickly growing.
Our Seattle origins have positioned us to be a leader in interactive entertainment, digital media, websites, social media and online services. We have since grown our practice to include representation of global entertainment companies, motion picture studios, production companies, theater companies, video game developers, talent agencies and artists in a wide variety of media and entertainment disputes. Our clients work across all genres and are based in the traditional media centers of Los Angeles and New York as well as in dynamic new media markets throughout the nation.
Perkins Coie offers the comprehensive resources of a top-performing litigation bench and of one of the leading intellectual property and patent law practices in the nation. We have vast experience handling contract disputes unique to the entertainment industry, including claims for profit participations, credits and agency commissions as well as breaches of nondisclosure agreements.
In addition, Perkins Coie is well-versed in noncontractual claims such as theft of trade secrets, interference with contract and prospective economic advantage, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, accounting and unfair competition disputes. Libel, slander and related First Amendment issues are also dispute areas in which we have safeguarded clients' reputations and careers, and we have helped clients in litigation gain access to public records and government proceedings.
We also focus on protecting our entertainment and media clients’ intellectual property. In particular, we have extensive experience litigating trademark, trade dress, dilution, unfair competition, false advertising, false endorsement, domain name, gray market and anti-counterfeiting claims in courts across the country as well as before the Trademark and Trial Appeal Board (TTAB). Our attorneys also work with our clients to develop comprehensive intellectual property enforcement programs for copyrights, trademarks and domain names, and they efficiently and comprehensively address infringement issues for companies that depend upon their IP rights, helping them detect, investigate and address issues with an arsenal that includes cease-and-desist programs, alternative dispute resolution, civil litigation programs and criminal referrals.
Areas of Media and Entertainment Litigation
- Copyright and trademark infringement
- Trade secrets
- Trade dress
- Intellectual property enforcement programs
- Right of publicity
- Invasion of privacy
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- Breach of contract
- Celebrity branding
- Talent agency commissions
- Exclusivity deals
- Profit participations
- Unfair business practices
- Patent disputes over media-related inventions
- Bankruptcy and insolvency
Representative Media and Entertainment Litigation Experience
Film and Television
- Represent filmmaker in copyright ownership dispute
- Represent entertainment companies in a wide variety of contract, fiduciary duty and business tort disputes
- Represent talent agencies in commission disputes with artists and production companies
- Represented the creator of a beloved children’s show in an arbitration seeking compensation and credits under a development and production agreement
- Defended cable operators in a contract and copyright infringement dispute with a content provider
- Resolved contract dispute on behalf of a television network challenged by its primary content provider
- Won a motion to dismiss in a right of publicity case for a leading stock photo agency
- Defended claims against a famous novelist alleging copyright and trademark infringement
- Represented a video game software maker in defending allegations of copyright infringement in name, character and title of book
- Represent authors and publishers in license and copyright disputes
Music and Live Performances
- Counsel major performing rights organization in numerous copyright infringement claims relating to unauthorized public performances
- Represent talent agencies and artists in disputes arising out of personal appearances and concerts
- Represented a musician in a copyright ownership dispute with a major recording star
- Guide a recording company in a dispute involving file-sharing technology
New Media and Interactive Entertainment
- Represent global media and entertainment company in claims of misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of nondisclosure agreement
- Represent many large and small video game developers and publishers in a wide variety of litigation matters, including copyright infringement actions