Arts, entertainment and sports clients rely on the multidisciplinary experience of Perkins Coie attorneys to counsel on a wide variety of matters, including entertainment-related contracts, rights clearance, acquisition and management, corporate and financial transactions, intellectual property protection and enforcement, contract disputes and personal planning.
In addition to representing artists, authors, publishers, playwrights, filmmakers, athletes, sports teams, musicians, composers, museums and arts organizations, our lawyers also work with corporations, political candidates and organizations, game developers, newspapers, and nonprofit organizations on entertainment and media-related matters involving music, publishing, art, theatre, film, photography, television, broadcasting and digital media.
One of our strengths is our experience dealing with issues at the intersections of entertainment, technology and intellectual property law. We have extensive knowledge concerning digital media and interactive entertainment, as well as issues related to arts and entertainment matters involving websites, social media and online services.
We also represent a wide variety of arts organizations, from small, local music and theater groups to large production companies, such as symphonies and regional ballet and theater companies. Additionally, our lawyers are active in the arts-related legal community, teaching arts law courses at local universities. Many also volunteer or serve on boards of directors for numerous regional and local arts organizations.
Our representative experience includes:
Music - Drafting and negotiating music licenses, recording contracts, producer agreements, music publishing and administration agreements, online music distribution agreements, podcasting agreements, performer agreements, composer agreements, tour support agreements, marketing agreements, and online distribution agreements.
Publishing - Drafting and negotiating publishing agreements, literary option agreements, screenwriting agreements and ghostwriting agreements.
Film and Television - Drafting and negotiating series development and production agreements, shopping and packaging agreements, DVD distribution agreements, video and film production agreements, life story agreements, talent agreements, endorsement agreements, and literary option agreements.
Interactive Entertainment - Drafting and negotiating content agreements, talent agreements, license agreements, and development, distribution and publishing agreements.
Sports - Drafting and negotiating endorsement and sponsorship agreements, and labor agreements.
Rights Clearance and Management Services
Music - Clearing music and other content rights for use in televisions, films, video games, board games, advertising campaigns, books, corporate materials, Web sites, online services and other media and projects.
Film and Television - Managing clip licenses for television and film projects.
Licensing - Managing licensing contracts and royalty payments.
Trademark and Copyright - Providing trademark and copyright portfolio management services, and rights clearance and advice.
Personal Planning and Tax
Working with well-known artists, playwrights, authors, musicians, composers, photographers, athletes and their heirs to:
- Provide comprehensive estate planning services and administer complex estates;
- Provide wealth management services and develop strategies that maximize value, minimize taxes and preserve intellectual property and wealth for future generations;
- Assist in creating lasting legacies through private foundations, donor-advised funds and other charitable techniques; and
- Prepare gift tax returns and estate tax returns that include transfers, valuations and other complex issues related to significant pieces of art, extensive collections and associated intellectual property.
Trademark & Copyright
- Providing trademark and copyright acquisition, registration, management and enforcement services to artists, arts organizations, production companies, and professional sports teams and athletes.
- Expanding the value of trademarks and copyrights through licensing and merchandizing arrangements.
Film and Television
- Representation of filmmaker in copyright ownership dispute.
- Representation of cable operators in contract and copyright infringement dispute with content provider.
- Representation of television network in contract dispute with primary content provider.
- Defense of action by author of famous novel alleging copyright and trademark infringement.
- Defense of action alleging copyright infringement in name, character and title of book allegedly infringed by video game software and related materials.
- Representation of authors and publishers in license and copyright disputes.
- Representation of well-known visual artist in trademark, trade dress and copyright dispute.
- Representation of commercial photographer in copyright dispute.
- Representation of major performing rights organization in numerous copyright infringement claims relating to unauthorized public performances.
- Representation of musician in copyright ownership dispute with major recording star.
- Representation of recording company in dispute involving file sharing technology.
- Representation of well-known author in royalties dispute with book publisher.
- Representation of many large and small video game developers and publishers in a wide variety of litigation, including copyright infringement actions
- Representation of state high school athletic association in dispute over media rights to transmit games over the Internet.