Chair, Intellectual Property Litigation Practice
Will Rava focuses his practice on intellectual property litigation involving trademarks, trade dress, domain names, copyrights and trade secrets. He has successfully litigated such disputes in federal courts across the country, before arbitration panels under the UDRP and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Will also has extensive experience counseling clients in a variety of industries on intellectual property and brand protection strategies, including securing, policing, investigating and enforcing their rights, investigating and removing from the market counterfeit and other unauthorized goods, and investigating related unlawful Internet activities. Such matters often involve requests for temporary restraining orders or preliminary injunctions, an area in which Will has deep experience. In the last several years alone, Will has worked to resolve disputes relating to trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets in the following areas, among others:
Will devotes a significant portion of his practice to public law, including election and political law and promoting and participating in pro bono representations on a wide variety of topics. He has represented numerous campaigns and candidates in recalls, recounts, contests and other election litigation (including the 2000 Washington US Senate recount, the 2004 Washington gubernatorial recount and contest, and the 2008 Minnesota US Senate recount and contest) and regularly counsels campaigns, political parties and political consultants on a variety of compliance issues.
Consumer products (including video games, food, books, and nail polish);
Software (including SaaS); and
Industrial and health care products (including natural stone products, wound dressings and AEDs).
Will also has significant experience in corporate governance litigation and specifically in defending corporations and directors in shareholder derivative actions and responding to shareholder document requests and related demands.
- Listed in Washington Law & Politics, "Super Lawyers," 2011 - 2012
- Volunteer of the Year, Newcomers Resource Project of the King County Bar Association, October 2007
- Listed in Washington Law & Politics, “Rising Stars of Washington Law,” 2004 - 2006, 2008
- Community Legal Services Recognition for Legal Services to the Homeless from the King County Bar Association, May 2001
- Leadership Tomorrow, Class of 2008
- King County Bar Association Community Legal Services Committee, Co-Chair, 2004 - 2006, Member, 2007 - present
- Artist Trust, Board Member, 2007 - present, (President, July 2009 - June 2011)
- Ballard Youth Soccer Club, Coach, 2007 - present
- Hon. Richard D. Cudahy, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 1998 - 1999
- Northwestern University Law School, J.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif, 1998
Note and Comment Editor, Northwestern University Law Review
- Harvard University, B.A., Government, magna cum laude, 1991
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington