Tyler Welti is an associate in the firm's Environment, Energy & Resources practice with significant experience in environmental, natural resource, and land use litigation and counseling. He previously served as a Trial Attorney in the U.S. Department of Justice, Environment and Natural Resources Division, which he joined through the Attorney General’s Honors Program.
Tyler has litigated numerous major cases in the natural resources, land use, Indian law and regulatory areas. He has first-chair litigation experience in cases involving the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), Federal Land Policy and Management Act (FLPMA), National Forest Management Act (NFMA), Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act (OCSLA), Endangered Species Act (ESA), Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA), National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA), Mining Law, Mineral Leasing Act, Energy Policy Act, Taylor Grazing Act, Antiquities Act and a variety of other laws and regulations. Tyler also has litigation experience with contract law issues, Clean Air Act conformity review, the Coastal Zone Management Act (CZMA), the Wild Horses and Burros Act, the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act (IGRA) and Federal fiduciary responsibilities in relation to Native American tribal trust resources.
Tyler has particular experience in project development involving a federal nexus, including onshore and offshore oil, gas and renewable energy development, grazing and other infrastructure projects. He previously served as the fracking lead for DOJ’s Natural Resources Section and successfully litigated the first two cases challenging the permitting of fracking in federal minerals. Drawing on strong relationships with the environmental community and personnel in federal agencies, Tyler has also been very successful in settling cases.
In addition to litigating, Tyler advises clients during the regulatory process, including representing clients’ interests during environmental reviews under NEPA, IGRA and other laws.
- U.S. Department of Justice Special Distinction Award for Tireless Efforts on Behalf of the American Public on Deepwater Horizon Litigation, 2011
- U.S. Department of Justice Outstanding Performance Awards, 2010 - 2011
- U.S. Department of Justice, Environment & Natural Resources Division, Natural Resources Section, Washington, D.C., Trial Attorney, 2008 - 2013
- Baker Botts LLP, Washington, D.C., Summer Associate, 2007
- Bingham McCutchen LLP, San Francisco, CA., Summer Associate, 2007
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 2008
Notes Editor, Virginia Law Review
- Yale University, B.A., English, 2002