Tim is a member of Perkins Coie's Commercial Litigation practice, although his practice is mainly dedicated to IP litigation with a heavy emphasis on patent litigation in computer, electrical and mechanical fields. He represents clients in various areas of commerce, including those in the consumer electronics, Internet applications, traditional manufacturing, software development and telecommunications fields. Tim is well versed in all aspects of litigation, from pre-suit investigations and through trial and appeal. He has appeared before federal district courts across the country, including the U. S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation, and has an unparalleled record of success in patent infringement cases. Tim also has significant experience litigating other types of intellectual property disputes, including trademark infringement, copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation disputes. Most recently, Tim was the lead counsel in the defense of Simon Property Group in a patent litigation involving mobile (iPhone and Android) applications that resulted in a finding of non-infringement for Simon Property Group and sanctions against the plaintiff.
In addition to litigation, Tim has counseled scores of global businesses, including two Fortune 15 companies, on adopting and implementing lawfully compliant information management programs as well as on eDiscovery and litigation readiness initiatives. Tim is frequently called upon to comment in the fields of compliance and eDiscovery by such publications as the Chicago Tribune, Compliance Week, Metropolitan Corporate Counsel and the Privacy and Data Law Journal.
Tim is a member of the Illinois bar, the trial bar of the Northern District of Illinois and is admitted to practice before some of the busiest patent litigation dockets in the United States, including the Eastern District of Texas, the Western District of Wisconsin and the Northern District of Illinois. He is a member of various bar and civic associations, and he is AV Peer Review Rated, which is Martindale-Hubbell's highest peer recognition for ethical standards and legal ability. He has been recognized as an Illinois Super Lawyer, a Top Lawyer in Illinois for intellectual property matters and in other legal publications. Tim has been involved in numerous pro bono representations, and his service was recognized by his former firm (Vedder Price P.C.) when it awarded him with its pro bono service award in 2006.
- Named in "Illinois Super Lawyers" in Intellectual Property Litigation, Business Litigation and Information Technology/Outsourcing, a Thomson Reuters business, 2012 - 2013
- Rising Star, Illinois Super Lawyers, Chicago magazine, 2010 - 2012
- Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent in Martindale-Hubbell
(AV®, BV® and CV® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.)
- Recommended “Top Lawyers in Illinois” in Intellectual Property Law, Leading Lawyers Network, a division of Law Bulletin Publishing Company, 2009 - 2012
- Named to Montclair's Who's Who Among Law Professionals
- Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar, Member, 2005 - present
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Clinton-Gore Alumni Association, Member
- The Sedona Conference, Working Group on eDiscovery, Member
- Loeb & Loeb LLP, Chicago, IL, Partner
- Vedder Price P.C., Shareholder
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D.
Member, DePaul Law Review
- University of St. Francis, B.A.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin