San Diego Office Managing Partner
Thane Bauz is a partner in the firm's Patent Litigation practice. For two decades, he has successfully litigated patent cases regarding a wide variety of electronics-related technologies, including at trial in U.S. District Courts and the U.S. International Trade Commission where the demands exceeded $300M.
He served two years as counsel to The Boeing Company’s Intellectual Property Business where he monetized patent portfolios, including conducting licensing negotiations, overseeing patent mining, performing due diligence for patent portfolio acquisition, assertion and patent sales. He identified IP business opportunities valued by independent accountants to exceed $500M.
Thane is serving on the IP Advisory Board to George Washington University Law School. He served a judicial clerkship for The Hon. Wilson A. Cowen at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and he worked for several years as an electrical engineer for The Boeing Company.
He has been an invited guest speaker on patent litigation, patent licensing and strategic IP portfolio management at annual meetings of the Association of Corporate Counsel, the California State Bar and the Licensing Executives Society. He was selected as a San Diego Top Attorney and has written numerous articles including "Reanimating U.S. Patent Reexamination: Recommendations for Change Based Upon a Comparative Study of German Law," 27 Creighton Law Review 945 (1994).
- Recognized as an IP Star by Managing IP, 2013
- Listed in Los Angeles, "Southern California Super Lawyers," 2013
- Named a Top Attorney (Intellectual Property Litigation) in San Diego by the San Diego Daily Transcript, 2011 - 2012
- Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker LLP, San Diego, CA, Partner/Of Counsel
- Fish & Richardson LLC, San Diego, CA, Principal/Associate
- The Boeing Company, Irvine, CA, Counsel
- The Boeing Company, Seattle, WA, Project Design Electrical Engineer
- Hon. Wilson Cowen, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- The George Washington University Law School, LL.M., Intellectual Property Law, highest honors, 1992
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 1991
(Centennial Merit Scholar)
- Illinois Institute of Technology, B.S., magna cum laude, 1986
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office