Thane is a partner in the firm’s Patent Litigation group. Thane has been lead counsel for both large and small technology companies. Active in all aspects of patent litigation, Thane’s experience ranges from lead trial counsel to testifying at trial as an expert witness on patent law. Thane is a registered patent attorney and has been retained for post-grant patent review proceedings. He is active in alternative dispute resolution.
Thane has over twenty years of experience in U.S. District Courts and the U.S. International Trade Commission proceedings where demands have exceeded $300M. Most recently Thane was retained as lead trial counsel to represent a global media giant at the newsworthy Apple v. Samsung trial.
Thane also conducted licensing negotiations, managed due diligence efforts for patent assertion and defense, and assisted companies with buying and selling patent portfolios. Thane has identified IP business opportunities certified by independent accountants to exceed $500M.
Thane recently served for three years as an IP Advisory Board Member to The George Washington University Law School. He has been a guest speaker on patent litigation, patent licensing and IP portfolio monetization at over twenty trade conferences, including the annual meetings of the ACC, the California State Bar and the Licensing Executives Society. Thane has been recognized by his peers as a Top Attorney, Super Lawyer and IP Star.
After graduating magna cum laude from the Illinois Institute of Technology, Thane was an electrical design engineer for a Fortune 100 Company. He was a Centennial Scholar at Chicago-Kent College of Law and obtained his Master of Laws degree in Patent and Intellectual Property Law with highest honors from The George Washington University.
- Recognized as an IP Star by Managing IP, 2013
- Listed in Los Angeles, "Southern California Super Lawyers," 2013 - 2014
- Named a Top Attorney (Intellectual Property Litigation) in San Diego by the San Diego Daily Transcript, 2011 - 2012
- Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker LLP, San Diego, CA, Partner/Of Counsel
- Fish & Richardson LLC, San Diego, CA, Principal/Associate
- The Boeing Company, Irvine, CA, Counsel
- The Boeing Company, Seattle, WA, Project Design Electrical Engineer
- Hon. Wilson Cowen, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- The George Washington University Law School, LL.M., Intellectual Property Law, highest honors, 1992
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 1991
- Illinois Institute of Technology, B.S., magna cum laude, 1986
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office