Firmwide Chair, Business Practice; Member, Firmwide Executive Committee
Stewart Landefeld, partner and Chair of the firm's Business practice, has 30 years of experience counseling companies and boards in the areas of corporate governance, securities compliance, mergers and acquisitions, public offerings, private equity investments and venture capital. Stewart has provided corporate governance and other general corporate counsel to dozens of leading companies, including Microsoft Corporation, Costco Wholesale Corporation, T-Mobile, PetSmart Inc., Orbitz (Audit Committee), Aircastle (Independent Directors), F5 Networks, Intermec Inc., Outerwall Inc., Cardiac Science Corporation, The Seattle Mariners, The Tacoma Rainiers (Baseball Club of Tacoma, LLC) and The Seattle SuperSonics among others. Clients benefit from the valuable insight he gained after serving for nearly a year as interim Chief Legal Officer, interim Chief Compliance Officer and then Executive Vice President and General Counsel of Washington Mutual Inc. in the months prior to and after FDIC seizure of Washington Mutual Bank.
A frequently sought-after speaker and author regarding a variety of corporate governance and other public company issues, Stewart is both the Editor-in-Chief and co-author of The Public Company Handbook: A Corporate Governance and Disclosure Guide for Directors and Executives (Fourth Edition), published by RR Donnelley. He has been honored as the recipient of the Burton Foundation's 2009 Distinguished Law Firm Award for co-authoring the article, "Cost Effective Improvements in Governance: Enhancing Communications Among Board Committees," published by the Corporate Governance Advisor. Stewart has also played a significant role in Seattle University Adolf Berle Governance Center.
Stewart has been recognized every year since 2005 as one of “America’s Leading Business Lawyers” by Chambers USA. He has also been recognized repeatedly as one of "Washington's Super Lawyers" by Washington Law & Politics and is frequently listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Lawdragon 500's "Leading Lawyers in America," and Who's Who Legal USA – Corporate Governance.
- Received the Burton Award for Legal Achievement, 2009
- Ranked by Chambers USA, as "America's Leading Business Lawyers", 2005 - present
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 1993 - Present: Corporate Governance Law; Corporate Law; Mergers & Acquisitions Law
- Listed in Washington Law & Politics, "Washington's Super Lawyers", 2003 - present
- Plymouth Housing Group (Permanent Housing for the Homeless), Board of Directors, President
- Seattle Art Museum, Chair, Audit Committee, Secretary
- Seattle Foundation, Past Chairman of Board of Trustees
- Seattle Symphony Foundation, Former Vice President, Board of Trustees
- Henry Art Gallery, Past Chairman of Board of Trustees
- Pike Place Market Preservation and Development Authority, Past Council Chair
- Washington Mutual Inc., Interim Chief Legal Officer, December 2007 - June 2008, Interim Chief Compliance Officer, June 2008 - October 2008, Executive Vice President, General Counsel during seizure of Washington Mutual Bank and Chapter 11 filing of Washington Mutual Inc.
- The University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1980
- Yale University, B.A., 1976
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit