Life Sciences |
When technology companies seek legal counsel, they turn to Perkins Coie. We represent clients across a full range of life sciences areas, including biologics, biosimilars, diagnostics, medical devices and pharmaceuticals both branded and generic (ANDA). Our attorneys know the industry as well as they know the laws and regulations that apply to it. Many of our patent attorneys and patent agents have advanced degrees in molecular biology, chemistry or biophysics. We help life sciences companies, both public and private, solve legal problems at every stage of growth.
We work with life sciences companies to raise capital from venture capital firms and other private sources, as well as from initial public offerings, follow-on offerings and strategic alliances. We have provided strategic legal advice on mergers, acquisitions and spin-outs of life sciences companies. We have also negotiated collaborations, joint ventures and licensing arrangements between life sciences companies and major research institutions throughout the world.
Our attorneys provide a full range of IP services to life sciences companies, including the enforcement and procurement of patent rights. We also prepare patent opinion letters on such critical issues as patent validity, infringement, freedom to operate and design-around issues.
Perkins Coie was one of only three firms to make IP Law360’s top 10 list for being the most frequently hired law firm in all three areas – trademark, patent and copyright cases. We handle jury and bench trials to enforce patents and defend against claims of patent infringement. Additionally, we handle patent interference matters involving biotechnology and medical device inventions before the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences.
We also provide a full range of litigation services to life sciences companies in cases involving unfair competition, product liability, securities claims and general commercial litigation.
Areas of Emphasis
- Patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret and unfair competition litigation
- ITC proceedings including trade practice and 337 actions
- Patent interferences, reexaminations and reissues
- Patent portfolio management and patent procurement
- Opinions on patentability, patent infringement, validity and freedom to operate
- Choice of entity, corporate formation and structure, corporate governance and public reporting
- Private (preferred stock) investments, debt financings, initial public offerings and subsequent equity follow-on financings
- Corporate partnering, complex licensing, strategic alliances, R&D collaborations, joint ventures, supply and distribution agreements, and mergers and acquisitions
- Business models in light of intellectual property strategies and FDA approval process
- Product liability counseling and litigation
- Government investigations and whistleblower lawsuits
- Labor and employment issues, executive compensation and equity incentive arrangements
- Real estate and land use