Steve Ducommun is a partner with the firm's Business practice. He concentrates his practice in corporate and securities law with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, strategic alliances, commercial contracting and financings. He regularly represents companies in a number of industries, including health care, biotechnology, food and procurement, cleantech, pharmaceutical, medical devices, agribusiness, metals and information technology.
Steve counsels clients on formation issues, research and development arrangements and with respect to numerous commercial matters, including technology commercialization, licensing, manufacturing and distribution. A major focus of his practice is the acquisition and sale of companies, frequently representing companies that are serial acquirers. He frequently acts as primary outside counsel to a number of companies ranging from mature companies in a number of industries, as well as to a number of early and growth stage companies in the health care, life science and cleantech industries. In addition, he has particular experience in representing companies entering into joint ventures with health care providers, such as physicians, in diverse areas including physical therapy, oncology and ambulatory surgery, including the structuring and compliance aspects of such arrangements.
Steve is a frequent speaker on such topics as commercializing life science and cleantech innovations, strategic alliances, and forming and financing start-up and emerging companies.
- American Bar Association
- Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO)
- French American Chamber of Commerce
- Illinois Biotechnology Industry Organization (iBIO), Board of Directors, 2005 - present
- New Venture Challenge at The University of Chicago Booth School of Business, Judge, 2004 - present
- K&L Gates LLP (formerly Bell, Boyd and Lloyd), Chicago, IL, Attorney
- Cornell Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1986
Board of Editors, Cornell Law Review
- The University of Chicago Law School, Visiting Student, 1986
- Drake University, B.S., summa cum laude, Beta Gamma Sigma, 1979
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois