Randy Tyler is an associate with the firm's Litigation and Privacy & Security practices.
In addition to general litigation work, Randy’s practice involves helping Internet and telecommunication service providers comply with federal and state laws regarding the privacy of user information, such as the Stored Communications Act, the Wiretap Act, and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, as well as related state laws. Among other things, Randy provides general compliance advice; helps to process subpoenas, court orders, search warrants and other requests for user information; and assists providers in responding to demands sent by foreign governments.
Randy also has experience with privacy-related consumer protection issues. He has assisted companies in handling investigations by state and federal agencies, such as the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), and has also helped provide compliance advice regarding Section 5 of the FTC Act and state consumer protection laws. Additionally, Randy advises clients on proposed privacy-related legislation, providing analysis and tailored advice on the potential impact of proposed laws.
Prior to joining Perkins Coie, Randy worked as a policy fellow for the American Civil Liberties Union of Washington (ACLU - WA), where he helped lead a project on government access to private information. While at the ACLU-WA, Randy worked with stakeholders (including law enforcement, elected representatives, and community leaders) to address issues regarding political surveillance and privacy in Washington State.
- American Civil Liberties Union of Washington, Seattle, WA, Legal Fellow, 2009 - 2010
- University of Pennsylvania Transnational Legal Clinic, Philadelphia, PA, Law Student Counselor, 2009
- Perkins Coie LLP, Seattle, WA, Summer Associate, 2008
- New Jersey Office for The Public Defender, Camden, NJ, Summer Intern, 2007
- Professor Nancy Combs, William and Mary School of Law, Williamsburg, VA, Research Assistant, 2007
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2009
- Monmouth University, M.A., Corporate & Public Communication, 2005
- Monmouth University, B.A., English & Communication, cum laude, Dean's List, 2001