Rajiv Sarathy is a patent attorney who applies his 13 years of software industry experience—including 9 years as a software development engineer and manager at Microsoft Corporation—and his MBA education to counsel companies on intellectual property (IP) matters. Although Rajiv is a software patent attorney based in Seattle, WA, he counsels clients throughout the United States, Canada, India, and in other countries. Rajiv focuses his practice on patent procurement, infringement and validity analysis, IP Transfers, IP licensing, IP counseling, and IP dispute management. Rajiv has also assisted clients with interpartes review, reexaminations, Section 337 actions at the International Trade Commission (ITC), and other enforcement activities; and has assisted companies to analyze and transfer large portfolios of patent assets.
Rajiv has prosecuted, analyzed, or litigated patents in many computer hardware and software technology areas including: Internet, applications, compilers, operating systems, security, image processing, hardware, financial, user interfaces, and wireless technologies. Additionally, he has experience with strategic planning for patent portfolios, preparation of patent invalidity and noninfringement opinions, analysis of patents for participation in patent pools, patent clearances, and due diligence of patent portfolios.
Rajiv is the editor of and frequent contributor to Perkins Coie's patent blog, www.patentlawinsights.com.
Rajiv was born in New Delhi, India, and grew up in Toronto, Canada. He enjoys traveling with his wife and two children, capturing his travels in photographs, playing golf, and flying small airplanes.
- Listed in Washington Law & Politics magazine's list of "Rising Stars," 2009 - 2012
- Washington State Bar Association, IP Section, Chair, 2012 - 2013; Chair-Elect, 2011 - 2012; Secretary/Treasurer, 2010 - 2011
- North American South Asian Bar Association, Co-chair, National Convention, 2009; Secretary, 2011 - 2012
- American Bar Association
- Washington State Patent Law Association
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- South Asian Bar Association of Washington, President, 2009 - 2010
- The Indus Entrepreneurs (TiE)
- Microsoft Corporation, Redmond, WA, Group Program Manager, 2000 - 2002
- Microsoft Corporation, Redmond, WA, Program Manager/Project Lead, 1995 - 2000
- Microsoft Corporation, Redmond, WA, Software Development Engineer, 1994 - 1995
- Ontario Hydro, Systems Analyst/Software Development Engineer, 1990 - 1994
- Seattle University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2002
Research and Technical Editor, Seattle University Law Review
- York University, Schulich School of Business, M.B.A., 1994
- University of Toronto, B.S., Computer Science, 1990
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington