Gina LaMonica is a counsel in the firm's Commercial Litigation practice, where she focuses on white collar defense, internal investigations, and securities litigation.
Gina has assisted in the representation of clients in a variety of white-collar criminal investigations and prosecutions, including matters before the Department of Justice (DOJ), Securities Exchange Commission (SEC), and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). Her cases have included allegations of securities fraud, insider trading, tax-related fraud, money laundering, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) violations, healthcare fraud, and government contract fraud.
White Collar Defense & Investigations
Securities Enforcement & Financial Services Litigation
- Counsel companies on FCPA compliance and various aspects of anti-corruption compliance programs.
- Represent FCPA corporate monitor appointed by DOJ and SEC to oversee large multinational corporation’s governance reforms in connection with its deferred prosecution agreement with the U.S. Government.
- Assisted in representation of Google Inc. in negotiating a NPA (non-prosecution agreement) with the District of Rhode Island related to Canadian online pharmacy ads.
- Counseled FORTUNE 500 company responding to a government investigation involving the Food Drug and Cosmetic Act (FDCA) and Controlled Substances Act (CSA).
- Represented healthcare industry member in federal investigation of alleged False Claims Act (FCA) violation.
- Counseled Internet security company in compliance matters relating to the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- Represented FORTUNE 100 company in responding to Office of Inspector General (OIG) subpoena relating to government contract fraud.
- Conducted internal investigation for a FORTUNE 500 company in matters involving possible violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practice Act (FCPA).
- Assisted Chapter 11 Trustee for the A & O Life Fund LLC and six related entities in marshalling the estates’ assets and selling the assets for the benefit of the creditors.
- Represented individuals in various criminal matters involving allegations of fraud (mail, wire, securities, bank, mortgage, and tax), money laundering, and civil forfeiture.
- Represent CFO and VP of Internal Audit in connection with SEC investigation of accounting fraud, revenue recognition and internal controls.
- Served as counsel to Audit Committee of publicly traded technology company in connection with investigation into whistleblower report of accounting fraud.
- Successfully represented the Boeing Company and two of its senior executives in the highly-publicized securities class action litigation related to the 787 Dreamliner airplane and obtained the dismissal of the case with prejudice.
- Represented CEO in connection with SEC insider trading investigation related to company’s IPO.
- Represented CFO in connection with SEC investigation of alleged securities fraud, insider trading, and executive’s Rule 10b5-1 Plan.
- Counseled private investment group overseeing multi-billion dollar portfolio on securities compliance matters related to prepaid variable forward (PVF) contracts.
- Counseled broker dealer and investment banking firm in connection with civil claims arising from issuance of auction rate securities (ARS) bonds.
- Represented an individual broker of a large financial firm in a FINRA investigation.
- Advised policyholders on D&O and entity insurance issues stemming from the Bernard Madoff Ponzi scheme.
Turek v. General Mills Inc., 662 F.3d 423 (7th Cir. 2011)
Gharb v. Rockwell Automation Inc., et al., 2011 WL 5373989 (N.D. Ill. 2011)
City of Livonia Employees' Retirement System v. The Boeing Co., 2011 WL 824604 (N.D. Ill. 2011)
- Listed as an Illinois Rising Star as published in Chicago Magazine's Super Lawyer & Rising Star Section, 2010, 2013, 2014
- Better Government Association (BGA) Young Professionals Board, Officer and Founding Member, 2010 – present
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Iowa, Cedar Rapids, IA, Judicial Extern to Chief Judge Paul J. Kilburg
- Perkins Coie LLP, Chicago, IL, Summer Associate, 2006
- U.S. Senator Tim Johnson, Washington, D.C., Intern, 2001
- University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., with distinction, 2007
Iowa Law Review Member, 2005 - 2006
- Boston University, B.A., Political Science and Psychology, cum laude, 2002
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois