Last Revised: July 10, 2011
What Is Personal Information?
As used herein, the term "personal information" means information that specifically identifies an individual (such as a name, address, telephone number, mobile number, e-mail address, or credit card number), or information about that individual that is directly linked to personally identifiable information. Personal information does not include "aggregate" information, which is data we collect about the use of the Sites or about a group or category of services or users, from which individual identities or other personal information has been removed. This Policy in no way restricts or limits our collection and use of aggregate information.
What Information Do We Collect?
Active Collection: We collect information from you in various ways when you visit the Sites. For example, we collect information you voluntarily provide to us, such as if you create an account, send us an email, fill out a form, register for an event, provide or request information, or post comments or other content on the Sites. Such information may include personal information, such as your name, address, email, telephone number, other contact and demographic information, and credit card number. Personal and demographic information may also be collected if you provide such information in connection with creating a profile or group, leaving comments, submitting or posting content, sending an email or message to another user or participating in any interactive forums or features on the Sites.
Passive Collection: When you use the Site, some information is also automatically collected, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your operating system, the browser type, the address of a referring web site, and your activity on the Site. We treat this information as personal information if we combine it with or link it to any of the identifying information mentioned above. Otherwise, it is used in the aggregate only.
We may also automatically collect certain information through the use of "cookies." Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive at the request of a website. Among other things, cookies help us improve our Sites and your experience. If we link cookies to any personally identifying information, we will treat this information as personal information. If you wish to block, erase, or be warned of cookies, please refer to your browser manufacturer to learn about these functions.
However, if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect certain features or Services on our Sites.
We may use Web beacons or similar technology on the Sites. Web beacons are small, invisible graphic images that may be used on the or in emails relating to the Sites to collect certain information and monitor user activity on the Sites, such as to count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and to tell if an email has been opened and acted upon..
How Do We Use the Personal Information We Collect?
We use personal information collected through our Sites for the purposes described in this Policy or elsewhere on the Sites. For example, we may use personal information we collect:
We may store and process personal information in the United States and other countries.
- to operate the Sites, provide the information or services you request, and to process and complete any transactions;
- to request feedback and to otherwise contact you about your use of the Sites;
- to respond to your emails, submissions, questions, comments, requests, and complaints and provide customer service;
- to monitor and analyze site usage and trends, and to personalize and improve the Sites and our users' experiences on the Sites;
- to provide you with news and information about our or third party events, activities, offers, promotions, products, and services we think will be of interest to you;
- to send you confirmations, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages and otherwise facilitate your use of, and our administration and operation of, the Sites;
- to notify you about important changes to our Sites; and
- for any other purpose for which the information was collected.
What Personal Information Do We Share With Third Parties?
We will not share the personal information we collect from you through this Sites with third parties, except as described in this Policy or on the Sites. For example, we may share personal information as follows:
You understand that when you use the Sites, information you post in your profile, blogs, listings, public or private groups, forums and other interactive areas of the Sites, as well as any information you share with individuals through the Sites or share through social network sites, will be available to other users and in some cases may be publicly available. We recommend you be cautious about giving out personal information to others or sharing personal information in public or private online forums.
- with vendors, consultants, and other service providers ("Service Providers") who are engaged by or working with us in connection with the operation of the Sites or the services we provide and who need access to such information to carry out their work for us;
- when you give us your consent to do so, including if we notify you on the Sites that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information;
- in an aggregated or anonymized form that does not directly identify you;
- when we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants, or court orders;
- when we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Perkins Coie, our clients, users, employees, copyright owners, third parties or the public, including without limitation to protect Perkins Coie or our clients or users from fraudulent, abusive, inappropriate, or unlawful use of our Sites;
- in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition, or in any other situation where personal information may be disclosed or transferred as one of the business assets of Perkins Coie.
We are not responsible for the actions of Service Providers or other third parties, nor are we responsible for any additional information you provide directly to any third parties, and we encourage you to become familiar with their privacy practices before disclosing information directly to any such parties. Nothing herein restricts the sharing of aggregated or anonymized information, which may be shared with third parties without your consent.
Links to Other Websites
What Steps Do We Take To Protect Your Information Online?
We take reasonable measures to protect your personal information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware, however, that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable and no method of data transmission that can be guaranteed against any interception or other type of misuse. To protect the confidentiality of personal information, you must keep your password confidential and not disclose it to any other person. You are responsible for all uses of our web site by any person using your password. Please advise us immediately if you believe your password has been misused.
What Choices Do You Have Regarding the Use of Your Information?
You may "opt out" of receiving marketing or promotional emails from us by following the instructions in those emails.
If you have any questions about this Policy, please contact