Perkins Coie Again Named One Of The "Best Law Firms For Women"
2012 Marks Firm’s 4th Appearance on Working Mother/Flex-Time Lawyers’ Prestigious List
SEATTLE (November 13, 2012) – Perkins Coie announced that it has been named one of the “2012 Best Law Firms for Women” by Working Mother Media and Flex-Time Lawyers LLC, which each year recognizes a select group of the nation’s law firms for commitment to the advancement and retention of women lawyers. This is the fourth time the firm has been included in this respected list.
“We are committed to attracting, retaining and advancing women at Perkins Coie,” said Theresa Cropper, the firm's Chief Diversity Officer. “Acknowledgement of our work by Working Mother and Flex-Time Lawyers is extremely gratifying, and we will continue to assess and improve work-life balance benefits as part of our focus on making the practice of law in a large law firm a viable option for working mothers and fathers alike.”
Laura Neebling, chair of the firm's Executive Committee added, “We’re thrilled to be recognized again this year and proud of the work we have done to support women in the legal profession. Working Mother and Flex-Time Lawyers have done an outstanding job of challenging law firms to make sure that they fully recognize the many contributions that women make to the profession.”
Some of Perkins Coie's practices and policies aimed at supporting women lawyers include:
Perkins Coie strives to create a work environment where all employees can succeed. For 11 consecutive years, the firm has been named to FORTUNE magazine's list of “100 Best Companies to Work For.” Also, for the past five years, the firm has received a perfect 100 score on the HRC’s Corporate Equality Index and Best Places to Work Survey. In addition, the firm has been named to the Yale Law Women’s “Top Ten Family Friendly Firms” list for the last four years and received a Gold Standard Certification from The Women in Law Empowerment (WILEF) Forum each year since WILEF launched its award initiative in 2011. Perkins Coie was among only 32 firms (of more than 300 invited to apply) that met the criteria for inclusion on the inaugural list.
- Establishment of a variety of affinity groups, including a firmwide Women’s Forum, which enjoys broad participation and focuses on leadership, marketing and professional development, work/life balance and retention and mentoring of women lawyers
- Networking events, including regular all-women lawyer retreats as well as practice group and office-specific events
- Programs for marketing, business development training and mentoring, which are designed to help women advance their careers and sharpen their skills
- Telecommuting options
- A reduced-hours program that allows attorneys to work part-time while developing their skills professionally and remaining on track for partnership. Under this program, attorneys need to work only 50 percent of full-time hours for benefits eligibility
- Leaves of absence for parental, adoption and elderly care purposes
- Lactation rooms
- Subsidized emergency in-home and sick child care for lawyers
- Full billable credit for all approved pro bono work, allowing working mothers to meet their billable hour demands while honoring their commitments to community service
About Working Mother Media: Working Mother magazine reaches 2.2 million readers and is the only national magazine for career-committed mothers. This year marks the 27th anniversary of Working Mother’s signature research initiative, Working Mother 100 Best Companies, and the tenth year of the Best Companies for Multicultural Women. Working Mother Media, a division of Bonnier Corporation, includes the National Association for Female Executives (NAFE), Diversity Best Practices and the Working Mother Research Institute.
About Flex-Time Lawyers LLC: Flex-Time Lawyers LLC® is a national consulting firm advising the legal profession on workplace restructure, talent management, work/life balance, and the retention and promotion of lawyers, with a focus on women.
About Perkins Coie: Founded in 1912, Perkins Coie has more than 950 lawyers in 19 offices across the United States and Asia. We provide a full array of corporate, commercial litigation and intellectual property legal services to a broad range of clients, from FORTUNE 50 corporations to small, independent start-ups, as well as public and not-for-profit organizations.