Michael Sink is a partner in Perkins Coie’s Business Litigation practice and a member of the firm’s Appellate, Privacy & Security and White Collar & Investigations groups. He has extensive experience in representing companies, board members, and individuals facing a diverse set of legal challenges ranging from high technology issues to international trade laws and breach of commercial contracts.
As a member of the firm’s Appellate Practice group, Michael has filed appeals in various appellate courts across the country, including several amicus briefs with the United States Supreme Court. He has argued appeals to U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit and the Colorado Court of Appeals. He was part of the team that successfully petitioned the Colorado Supreme Court to reinstate a jury verdict in favor of a client for $9 million plus interest for injuries sustained when a truck driver slipped on a large grease spill on the loading dock of a Wal-Mart Store. Currently, he represents Joel Esquenazi before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit in a first-of-its kind appellate challenge to the constitutionality of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) in a case leading to the longest ever sentence for an individual. Michael is a former law clerk to The Hon. Terrence L. O’Brien of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit.
As a business litigator, Michael represents clients in a variety of complex commercial disputes including class actions involving antitrust laws, asset purchase agreements, constitutional rights, consumer protection laws, distribution agreements, and intellectual property rights. Examples include:
Represents Jeppesen, a subsidiary of The Boeing Company, against antitrust, breach of contract, and tort claims in connection with its development of an aviation terminal chart iPad application.
Represented Knology, Inc., an internet service provider, in a class action under the federal Wiretap Act
involving the use of customer information for targeted advertising.
Represented Northland Cable Properties Inc., a cable network operator, in a dispute arising from termination of asset purchase agreements.
Represented Raytheon in a dispute with the Colorado Student Loan Program over a software development contract.
Represented Microsoft in cases asserting copyright infringement and trade dress infringement.
Investigations and Regulatory Advice
Michael conducts internal investigations and defends companies facing investigations or suits brought by federal or state government agencies and regulators, as well as advises clients on compliance issues under U.S. and foreign law. Examples include:
Defended clients facing investigation by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
, regarding online and mobile advertising and user data privacy and security, in response to civil investigative demands issued under Section 5 of the FTC Act
Conducted internal investigations and developed compliance policies to address FCPA and U.S. Travel Act
Connect with Michael via LinkedIn
- Recipient of "Perkins Coie Pro Bono Leadership" award, 2013
- Named a "Colorado Rising Star," by Super Lawyers, 2014
- American Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Faculty of Federal Advocates
- Historical Society of the Tenth Judicial Circuit
- Hon. Terrence L. O'Brien, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, 2004 - 2006
- University of Colorado School of Law, J.D., 2004, Order of the Coif
Articles Editor, University of Colorado Law Review
- University of South Florida, B.S., Business Administration, summa cum laude, 2001
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado