Michael L. Owen, a partner with the firm's Business practice, is engaged in a wide variety of debt finance transactions for banks and other financial institutions, private equity funds, and public and closely-held companies. His practice includes acquisition finance; private-equity-backed leveraged buyouts and dividend recaps; first lien and second lien deals; mezzanine and subordinated debt transactions; structured loan participations; and distressed debt acquisition. He also works on equity co-investments, warrants and convertible notes.
In addition, Mike negotiates debt and equity restructurings, and guides the workout of troubled loans. He advises clients on the practical application of complex inter-creditor arrangements, and the impact of bankruptcy as a last resort. He handles foreclosures and receiverships, and is experienced in the repossession, operation and ultimate resale of business assets.
Mike has a special focus on the media and telecommunications industry, in transactions involving radio and television broadcasters; media buyers; outdoor advertising companies; publishers; content providers; media related service businesses; cable television operators; security alarm monitoring companies; and voice and data transmission, exchange and hosting businesses.
Mike also represents clients in franchise and health care financings, and in commercial real estate finance, acquisition and development.
- Chicago Bar Association, Commercial Finance and Transactions Committee, Past Chair
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2009 - Present: Banking & Finance Law
- K&L Gates LLP, Global Finance Practice Coordinator, 2009 - 2012
- Bell, Boyd & Lloyd LLP, Chair, Finance Practice, 2003 - 2008
- Altheimer & Gray, 1997 - 2003
- Corporate Department Head, 2000 - 2003
- Compensation Committee, Member, 1999 - 2003
- Katten Muchin & Zavis LLP, Partner, 1996 - 1997 Associate, 1992 - 1996
- Greenberger, Krauss & Jacobs, Chtd, Associate, 1988 - 1992
- Indiana University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1988
- Northwestern University, B.A., Economics, 1985