Michael A. Oblon is a partner in the Intellectual Property practice in the firm's Washington D.C. office. Michael focuses on patent and trade secret litigation, as well as strategic patent counseling and patent portfolio management, for domestic and international companies that develop electronics, electromechanical, software and household consumer products. He is the primary intellectual property counsel to several leading companies in these fields.
Michael has successfully litigated patent and trade secret cases regarding a wide variety of technologies, including cellular telephone baseband processors, flat-panel LCD display controllers, virtual machine software, call center call routing technology, aesthetic laser hair removal systems, architectural LED networked display systems, networked consumer coin-counting machines, environmental compliance software, chemical vapor deposition techniques, Web-based music streaming, silicon signature technology, lithography, cardiovascular stents, infrared thermography and injection-molded plastic furniture. Michael litigates at the International Trade Commission and at various district courts across the United States, including in California, Delaware, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York and Virginia.
Michael is also a frequent lecturer about patent law strategy at various corporations, CLE seminars, and at the University of Virginia and University of Maryland.
Before private law practice, Michael served a judicial clerkship for The Hon. Alvin A. Schall, Circuit Judge at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. In addition, Michael is a former patent examiner at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, where he examined patent applications related to database software, file management and computer architecture.
- Recognized as an IP Star by Managing IP, 2013
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- The Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Giles Rich American Inn of Court
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Washington D.C., Patent Examiner, 1992 - 1993
- Hon. Alvin A. Schall, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 1996 - 1997
- Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1996
- University of Virginia, B.S., Electrical Engineering, with highest distinction, valedictorian, 1992
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts