Member, Firmwide Executive Committee
Mary C. (Molly) Moynihan focuses her practice on investment management clients including: registered open-end investment companies, registered investment advisers, private funds and independent directors of fund complexes.
Molly is fund counsel to a major fund complex, in which capacity she regularly counsels on fund formation, regulatory requirements, and compliance. She has in-depth experience with risk management issues associated with portfolio management and valuation and has developed and provided counsel on adviser and fund compliance and risk management programs. She has also provided counsel in connection with mergers and acquisitions of affiliated and unaffiliated investment companies and investment advisers, affiliated transactions and distribution issues. Her representation includes funds serving as underlying investment vehicles for variable insurance products.
Molly also represents registered investment advisers to private funds, including hedge funds and private equity funds. She has served as counsel to a series of investment vehicles for highly compensated employees and partners of a major international investment bank. She has worked on the formation of private funds and has extensive experience in the development of off-shore investment vehicles.
Molly served for six years as general counsel to a multi-billion-dollar registered investment company, whose primary investors were large public and ERISA-regulated pension plans where she handled the company's regulatory filings and compliance and acted as liaison to the board of trustees. In addition, she was responsible for structuring issues related to mortgage-backed securities and real estate transactions and advice relating to the funds pension plan investors.
Molly has also represented major U.S. banks and foreign private issuers in connection with their depositary receipts programs.
Molly has lectured on the role of independent directors, risk management and issues faced by the industry following passage of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
- Foundation of the National Archives, Board of Directors, Member
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Sub-Committee on Investment Companies and Investment Advisers
- K&L Gates LLP, Washington, D.C., Partner, Investment Management, 2008 - 2010
- AFL-CIO Housing Investment Trust, Washington, D.C., General Counsel, 2003 - 2008
- Sullivan & Cromwell, London, New York and Washington, D.C., Associate, 1988 - 1992; Specialist, 1993 - 1999
- Chief Justice Thomas R. Phillips, Supreme Court of Texas, 1987 - 1988
- University of London, LL.M., International Law, 1989
- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., with honors, 1987
Order of the Coif
Texas Law Review
- Wesleyan University, B.A., with highest honors, 1984
- District of Columbia
- New York