Jim Vana, a partner in the firm's Trademark & Copyright practice, provides a full range of counseling, prosecution, portfolio management, enforcement and dispute resolution services to clients in several different fields. Jim has developed particular skill in administrative trademark and domain name disputes, as well as copyright registration and registration of colors and other non-traditional trademarks.
Jim is active in several industry associations and has served on the editorial board of the Trademark Reporter and as chair of several committees for the ABA Intellectual Property Section. Jim is a regular speaker on trademark and copyright matters, and has published several articles.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Copyright Law, 2013
- Washington Lawyers for the Arts Legal Clinic, Board Member and Staff Attorney
- American Bar Association, Section of Intellectual Property Law, former Chair for numerous committees
- World Media Law Report, Contributor
- University of Washington School of Law, Adjunct Professor, 2007 - present
- Foley & Lardner, LLP, Milwaukee, WI, Associate and Senior Counsel, 1998 - 2004
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Washington, D.C., Attorney, 1996 - 1998
- Gravel and Shea, PC, Burlington, VT, Associate, 1993 - 1996
- Indiana University School of Law, J.D., 1993
- University of Michigan, A.B., English and German, 1987