Joanna Thies focuses her practice on environmental and regulatory compliance counseling and on environmental litigation under various statutes and regulations. These include the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA); the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA); the Clean Water Act (CWA); and the Clean Air Act (CAA), as well as state equivalents. Joanna brings to her practice both knowledge of these complex laws and the ability to effectively analyze their impact on clients.
As part of her practice, Joanna advises clients in matters involving administrative and civil regulatory enforcement defense, environmental litigation, environmental permitting, site investigations and remediation, investigation of potential criminal environmental matters and insurance coverage. In addition, she provides environmental due diligence support in real estate transactions and in mergers and acquisitions. Joanna also assists clients with environmental, health and safety audits a well as counseling them on the legal and procedural components of auditing and the implications of voluntarily disclosing any potential violations identified during an audit.
Joanna provides Occupational Safety Health Administration (OSHA) and Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) counseling. This work includes providing legal advice on OSHA and MSHA regulations; advising clients on criminal OSHA fatality/catastrophe investigations; developing and implementing required safety and health programs; and developing and analyzing OSHA audits.
Joanna's practice includes assisting clients in contract matters and representing clients in employment, franchise, and real estate litigation.
- American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy and Resource, Member
- Colorado Association of Commerce and Industry, Member
- Colorado Bar Association, Environmental Law and Natural Resources and Energy Law Sections, Member
- Colorado Lawyers Committee, Young Advocates Committee, Member
- Colorado Hazardous Waste Management Society, Member
- Perkins Coie LLP, Denver, CO, Law Clerk, 2004 - 2005
- Boulder County Legal Services, Boulder, CO, Pro Se Clinic Legal Volunteer, 2003 - 2004
- Environmental Policy Center, San Francisco, CA, Research Associate, 2002 - 2003
- University of Colorado School of Law, J.D., 2006
- Oberlin College, B.A., Environmental Studies, 2001
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado