Joshua Reiten is a counsel with the firm's Litigation practice. His practice focuses on trade secrets and other intellectual property disputes, unfair competition and consumer protection litigation, and complex commercial cases. Joshua has substantial trial experience in both bench and jury trials.
* Prior Experience
- Represents Google Inc. in a putative class action alleging violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- Represents The Western Union Company in related nationwide class actions where purported class representatives asserted claims under the state consumer protection laws.
- Successfully defended craigslist Inc. against a putative class action asserting violations of a California credit card statute. On an issue of first impression, the trial court dismissed the plaintiff’s complaint with prejudice.
- Secured a judgment and permanent injunction for Google Inc. as a plaintiff in an action based on violations of the terms and conditions governing Google’s AdWords service.
- Won summary judgment for craigslist Inc. in a lawsuit involving the application of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act to allegations of harassment and impersonation through online postings.
- Represented integrated resource recovery company in a multi-million-dollar lawsuit against a chief competitor involving alleged violations of state antitrust laws.*
- Defended mutual fund investment advisor and distributor in class and derivative action arising from shelf space and revenue sharing payments to broker-dealers. The matter settled on favorable terms after the court dramatically limited the proposed class.*
- Represented twelve court-appointed class counsel in litigation arising out of objections to $1.55 billion settlement of antitrust claims and $60 million attorneys' fees award. District court dismissed action with prejudice and awarded $45,000 in sanctions against plaintiff's counsel, which the Ninth Circuit affirmed.*
- State Bar of California
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Howard Rice Nemerovski Canady Falk & Rabkin, San Francisco, CA, Litigation Associate, 2005 - 2010
- Office of the District Attorney, City and County of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, Volunteer Assistant District Attorney, 2009
- University of California, Davis School of Law, J.D., Order of the Coif, Order of the Barristers
- University of California, Davis, A.B., Economics
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit