Jeff Nelson is an associate with the firm's Trademark & Copyright practice. He counsels clients on a broad range of legal, business and strategic issues regarding their intellectual property. Jeff has broad experience in trademark clearance, prosecution, enforcement and dispute resolution; copyright protection and enforcement; domain name acquisition and disputes; IP and software licensing; music rights clearance and licensing and Internet contracts and policies.
Jeff has in-depth experience in dispute resolution. He has successfully resolved dozens of disputes before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and handled numerous Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) complaints. Jeff counsels clients in the enforcement of IP rights online, including in social media. He has also assisted clients in management of their international trademark, copyright and domain name enforcement in countries across the globe.
Jeff has represented clients ranging from individuals, start-ups, and non-profit organizations to multi-national corporations and FORTUNE 500 companies. He has experience in a variety of industries, including apparel, footwear, and sporting goods, e-commerce and online retail, automotive and accessory manufacturing, banking and finance, consumer products and electronics, entertainment and the arts, including books, music, and film, and education.
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section; Forum on Entertainment and Sports Industries
- Washington State Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan, Intellectual Property Section
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Trademark Association
- Enforcement Committee, Courts & Tribunals Subcommittee, 2012 - 2013
- Co-Chair, Task Force on Unfairness in Trademark Cases, 2012
- Board of Directors, 2006 - 2010; Treasurer, 2007 - 2010; General Counsel, 2007 - 2010
- Warner Norcross & Judd, LLP, Grand Rapids, MI, Associate, 2003 - 2010
- University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2003
- Drake University, B.S., Accounting, cum laude