Firmwide Chair, Commercial Litigation Practice; Member, Firmwide Executive Committee
Joe Mais is an experienced trial lawyer who has tried more than 20 jury trials, bench trials and arbitrations. He also has served as lead counsel in many significant matters that were successfully resolved before trial. He has served as lead counsel in a wide range of matters including multiple securities, intellectual property, and consumer actions, as well as contract, business tort and real estate litigation.
Joe is currently ranked by Chambers as an Arizona Band One litigator, and described as a "top-flight litigator much admired for the ‘clarity of his thinking.’" He is currently listed by Best Lawyers in America in both Commercial Litigation and Bet-the-Company Litigation. One reviewer said: "Joe is great at reading the overall situation... putting forward the most compelling arguments and knowing what to leave aside." He is also currently recognized by Benchmark Litigation as a "Local Litigation Star," and as a leading litigator by Southwest Super Lawyers.
Joe’s problem-solving skills as a litigator are supplemented by his years of experience as a business and practice manager. Since July 2008, Joe has served as chair of the firm’s national litigation practice group. He previously served as Managing Partner of Brown & Bain P.A. from 1995 to 2004, leading efforts that resulted in its highly successful merger with Perkins Coie in 2004, and as a member of Perkins Coie’s Management Committee from 2004 to 2008.
- Listed in Chambers USA "America's Leading Lawyers" for General Commercial Litigation in Arizona – Band 1
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2001 - Present: Bet-the-Company Litigation; Commercial Litigation; Litigation - Securities
- Listed in Benchmark Litigation: The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys as a "Local Litigation Star" in Securities and Intellectual Property
- Listed as a “Super Lawyer” in Southwest Super Lawyers
- American Bar Association, Business Torts Committee, Regional Co-Chair
- State Bar of Arizona, Law Practice Management Committee, Chairman and Member
- State Bar of Arizona, Class Action Committee, Member
- Maricopa County Bar Association, Continuing Legal education Committee, Member
- NITA Trial Training Faculty, Member
- Speaker on numerous topics including class actions, securities litigation, managing complex litigation, economic damages and law firm management
- Stanford Law School, J.D., 1978
- University of Illinois, B.A., cum laude, 1975