James Jensen, a partner in the firm's Emerging Companies & Venture Capital practice and a leader of the firm's China Emerging Company and the Investment Fund Formation practices in Silicon Valley, represents emerging companies, accelerator/incubators and venture capital funds in diverse industries, including clean technology (e.g., biofuels, LEDs, smart meters and solar), digital media, Internet, medical devices, mobile, security and software. He is a technology entrepreneur and has formed and ran multiple e-commerce and other Internet companies, which gives him a unique understanding of legal issues as viewed through the eyes of entrepreneurs. He also represents traditional brick and mortar businesses that produce profits and cash flow, anathemas to Silicon Valley startup companies.
Jim has nearly 15 years of legal experience in the following:
Jim has been involved in more than 250 investment and exit transactions during his legal career and, as importantly, a handful of exit or restructuring transactions as a business executive. His transactional experiences range from a few hundred thousand dollars to several billion dollars. Prior to joining Perkins Coie, Jim managed hundreds of investment transactions as general counsel, Emerging Markets, with VantagePoint Capital Partners, a large venture capital and private equity firm. He benefits his client through his broad network of contacts in the angel investment and venture capital community.
- representing start-up and emerging growth companies at all stages of their development;
- assisting corporate, angel and venture capital firms with their investment transactions in the United States and China;
- forming angel investment and venture capital funds and providing advice to fund managers about their ongoing operations;
- leading exit transactions, including mergers, acquisitions and other restructurings; and
- counseling clients on board management and corporate governance issues.
He is a sought-after speaker on topics related to emerging companies, venture capital and related legal issues and an author of many articles on start-up business strategy. He is intrigued by innovation and regularly attends technology events to learn and exchange ideas about emerging technologies. He enjoys helping entrepreneurs hone their business plans and establish strategic objectives.
His recent clients include VantagePoint Capital Partners and Chrysalix Energy Venture Capital, as well as accelerators, UpWest Labs and Advise.me Management LLC. Jim has also been recently engaged to represent a large corporate investor in venture capital investments and a prominent family office in investment restructurings.
- Chinese American Innovation Network (CHAIN)
- Churchill Club
- Commonwealth Club of California
- Hua Yuan Science and Technology Association (HYSTA)
- J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management Bay Area Alumni
- National Venture Capital Association (NVCA) Model Document Working Group
- Toastmasters International
- VantagePoint Capital Partners, San Bruno, CA, General Counsel, Emerging Markets & Assistant General Counsel
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, P.C., Palo Alto, CA, Corporate, Transactional and Fund Formation Attorney
- Penta Press Inc., Miami, FL, Chief Financial Officer
- Nobart Inc., Chicago, IL, Manager of Financial Operations
- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Northwestern University, Kellogg Graduate School of Management, M.M., Finance, with highest distinction
- Utah State University, B.S., Finance, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa