Judy Jennison is a partner with the firm’s Litigation practice, and focuses on intellectual property, antitrust and unfair competition litigation and product development counseling for technology companies.
Judy recently returned to the firm after eight years at Microsoft Corporation, where she led the company’s Copyright and Trade Secret Group, served as associate general counsel for the Microsoft Office business and was responsible for significant aspects of the company’s worldwide antitrust compliance efforts.
Judy has two decades of experience litigating for and counseling clients on intellectual property and unfair competition issues, with particular experience in the application of copyright law to software. Prior to her time with Microsoft, she participated in a number of leading copyright cases, including Nintendo v. Galoob, Adobe v. Southern Software and MGM v. Grokster, and was lead counsel for the successful defendant in Kelly v. Arriba Soft, a landmark fair use case. Judy has also successfully litigated numerous cases involving unfair competition, false advertising, trademark and trade dress infringement and trade secret misappropriation. She has considerable experience obtaining and defending against TROs, seizure orders and preliminary injunctions.
Judy has also participated in several high profile antitrust cases including Atari Corp. v. Nintendo and United States v. Microsoft. She has experience litigating against private parties as well as the government and has particular experience in developing and maintaining regulatory compliance programs.
In addition to focusing on litigation, Judy actively counsels technology clients on product development and general business issues. Having spent years in-house, she has a keen appreciation for the business dynamics faced by her clients and provides valuable guidance and insight to help their businesses succeed.
Judy has extensive experience in the technology space, having worked with a range of products including video games, search engines, productivity applications and operating systems, both on premise and in the cloud. Her understanding of the issues and pressures faced by technology companies in developing and marketing their products is invaluable to those in the sector.
Judy is a contributing author to the firm's IP litigation blog, IP Litigation Update.
- Eastside Legal Assistance Program, Board Member and Volunteer, 2005 - present; Vice President, 2009; President, 2010 - 2011
- Seattle Intellectual Property American Inn of Court, Master, 2010 - present
- Microsoft Corporation, Redmond, WA, Senior Attorney, 2004 - 2006; 2008 - 2011, Associate General Counsel, 2006 - 2008
- Perkins Coie, Menlo Park; San Francisco, CA, Partner, 2000 - 2003; Of Counsel, 1999
- Fenwick & West, LLP, Palo Alto, CA, Associate, 1997 - 1999
- Steinhart & Falconer, LLP, San Francisco, CA, Associate, 1993 - 1997
- Mudge, Rose, Guthrie, Alexander & Ferdon, LLP, New York, NY, Associate, 1991 - 1993
- Rutgers School of Law, J.D., 1991
Managing Business Editor, Rutgers Law Review
- Smith College, A.B., Mathematics, 1986
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey