Joe manages a rapid response enforcement team to vigorously defend clients, such as Facebook, against illegal spamming, phishing, pretexting, and other forms of malicious Internet behavior. Actions to prosecute individuals whose actions interfere with client Web sites or Internet activity often include extensive Internet forensic work, cease-and-desist actions and formal litigation.
Joe advises clients regarding state and federal privacy and data protection laws, including anti-spamming and anti-phishing statutes, state data protection statutes, and breach notification laws.
Joe provides consumer protection compliance advice to companies regarding their obligations under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and fair debt collections practices statutes. This practice focuses primarily on the protection and safeguarding of customer personal data.
Joe provides counsel to the firm's clients on a number of regulatory issues including CPNI compliance for wireless carriers, security breach notification advice and international advice regarding compliance with data protection laws abroad.
Joe specializes in international data transfer laws, helping companies that wish to transfer data across international boundaries to do so in compliance with transnational regulations. He also advises clients regarding operation of Sarbanes-Oxley Whistleblower programs in the EU, and conducting U.S.-based litigation discovery in the EU. He assists clients in joining the U.S. Department of Commerce's EU Safe Harbor certification program and counsels them with respect to compliance with European Union Directives on privacy, data protection, eCommerce and electronic communications services. He also provides advice to companies regarding compliance with United States sanctions programs (OFAC).
In past years, Joe defended Honeywell International Inc. against asbestos claims related to automotive friction products, managing the pre-trial matters for approximately twenty cases each year.
Pro Bono work is central to Joe's practice. He specializes in refugee/asylum law, representing asylum-seekers at all levels of the immigration process. He is currently branching out by representing an inmate from the King County Regional Justice Center in a challenge to its medical treatment policies and procedures.
- Center for Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction (CALI) Excellence Award in Professional Responsibility
- Listed in Washington Law & Politics "Washington Rising Star," 2014
- Federal Bar Association
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society, Curriculum Editorial Board Member
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society, Georgetown University Law Center Chapter, Co-President, 2004 - 2005
- Help Africa Relief and Development Inc., Vice President 2002 - 2007
- Georgetown Institute for the Study of International Migration, Washington, D.C., Researcher, 2004 - 2005
- Perkins Coie LLP, Seattle, WA, Summer Associate, 2004
- Human Rights Watch, Africa Division, New York, NY, Klatsky Legal Fellow, 2003
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., cum laude, 2005
Associate Editor, Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics
- University of Washington, B.A., Political Science and Philosophy, 2001
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington