James Ahlers, an associate in the firm's Litigation practice, focuses on complex business disputes. In addition, James practices extensively in the areas of media law and political law, and has significant experience in appellate advocacy. James has represented clients in various phases of civil disputes, from pre-litigation to mediation to trial preparation.
Business and Insurance Litigation
James’ diverse business litigation practice includes breach of contract matters, intellectual property disputes, and real estate-related matters. James also practices insurance recovery litigation at the trial and appellate level.
Media and Political Law
James brings his experience as a former journalist and press secretary to bear in representing traditional media and digital media in First Amendment and state law claims. James has also represented political candidates in compliance matters and advocacy organizations in state constitutional law matters.
James has authored or co-authored merits briefs and amicus briefs to the U.S. Supreme Court and the Federal, Fifth, Seventh and Ninth Circuit Courts of Appeals, and the Delaware Supreme Court. James has also argued before the Ninth Circuit.
- International School of Arizona, Board Member, 2011 - present
- Arizona Mexico Commission, Member, 2010 - present
- Harvard Mediation Program, Mediator, 2007 - 2008
- Arizona Governor's Task Force on Mexican Real Estate, Appointee, 2003 - 2004
- Harvard Program on Negotiation, Cambridge, MA, Mediation Seminar Teaching Assistant, 2008
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, Los Angeles, CA, Summer Associate, 2006 - 2007
- Perkins Coie Brown & Bain LLP, Phoenix, AZ, Summer Associate, 2005 - 2006
- Arizona Office of Tourism, Phoenix, AZ, Director of Communications, 2003 - 2004
- Office of the Governor, State of Arizona, Phoenix, AZ, Press Secretary and Special Assistant for Mexico Policy, 2000 - 2002
- The East Valley Tribune, Mesa, AZ, Business Reporter, 1998 - 2000
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 2008
- Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government, M.P.P., 2008
- Miami University, B.A., English/Journalism, summa cum laude, 1994
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit