Erik Smith is an associate in Perkins Coie's Patent group and focuses his practice on patent prosecution and litigation.
Erik specifically concentrates on the preparation and prosecution of patent and trademark applications, non-infringement and invalidity opinions, analysis of patents for participation in patent pools, and litigation of commercial disputes involving complex technologies. He also provides strategic patent counseling and portfolio analysis for companies ranging from startups to Fortune 100 companies.
Erik has extensive experience with wired and wireless networks, including 3G infrastructures and handset design, protocol harmonization, security, and software development. Erik has a high-degree of understanding of analog and digital electronics, Internet hardware and design, E-Commerce, graphical subsystems, social media, financial services, medical software and appliances, network storage appliances, and computer and systems administration.
Prior to joining Perkins Coie, Erik was a System Design engineer at Marconi Communication, where he worked extensively with VHDL, C, Perl and other software/hardware development languages to designed Fiber-to-the-Home (FTTH) systems using Ethernet and ATM technologies. Erik worked as a System and Network Consultant at Virtus Technologies, where he focused on consulting and designing secure e-commerce systems; remote access solutions; storage access networks (SANs); and security infrastructures and procedures, for Fortune 100 companies. Erik worked as a Senior Technical Officer at JPMorganChase, where he focused on software and hardware development and project management to support complex, high-volume, secure banking transactions.
- JPMorgan Chase, Tampa, FL, Senior Technical Officer/Project Manager/ Associate VP, 2003 - 2005
- Allegiance Financial Services, Tampa, FL, Mortgage Broker/Lead Developer/System Admin, 2004
- Virtus Technologies, Boulder, CO, Technical Architect/Network Consultant/Technical Lead, 2001 - 2003
- Marconi Communications - Strategic Technology Group, Irving, TX, Design Engineer, Research and Development Department, 2000 - 2001
- University of San Francisco School of Law, J.D., 2009
Executive Editor, Intellectual Property Law Bulletin
- Texas A&M University, B.S., Electrical Engineering, 2000
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office