Eric Barber, a partner in the firm's Litigation practice, represents policyholders in insurance coverage disputes and counsels companies on insurance policy language and renewals. He assists clients in connection with a broad array of insurance issues, including first-party property damage, errors and omissions, directors and officers claims, environmental contamination, fidelity/crime, construction delay and non-completion, and data breaches. Eric has particular experience advising companies in connection with their decision to either go public or private, and has also counseled private equity firms on insurance issues related to the acquisition or sale of portfolio companies. Many of Eric’s representations in the past eight years involve counseling for, and pursuing claims on behalf of, mutual funds, hedge funds and private equity firms. He is the co-author of the leading treatise on insurance coverage for investment companies. Eric has also been at the forefront of examining insurance issues related to virtual currencies.
Eric is co-chair of the Excess & Umbrella Sub-Committee of the Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee of the American Bar Association and speaks frequently on insurance issues at some of the industry’s most significant conferences.
Eric also has extensive appellate experience. He has worked on appeals across a broad spectrum of substantive areas of law and in various appellate courts around the country, including a number in the U.S. Supreme Court and the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
Connect with Eric via LinkedIn
- Named a "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers (Wisconsin), in the area of Insurance Coverage (the only policyholder-side attorney in Wisconsin to receive that honor), 2011 - 2013
- Named a Top Young Lawyer by Milwaukee Magazine, 2011
- Recipient of the Western District of Wisconsin Bar Association’s Pro Bono Service Award, 2009
- Dane County Bar Association
- Wisconsin State Bar Association, Appellate Practice Section
- Western District of Wisconsin Bar Association
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Excess & Umbrella Sub-Committee, Co-Chair
- Heller Ehrman LLP, Madison, WI, Associate, 2006 - 2008
- The Hon. Harry D. Leinenweber, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Legal Intern
- Hon. Richard C. Wesley, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Hon. Shirley S. Abrahamson, Wisconsin State Supreme Court
- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., magna cum laude
Articles Editor, Wisconsin Law Review
- California State University, Los Angeles, M.A., Political Science
- University of Denver, B.A.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois