David J. Tsai is a counsel in the firm's Litigation practice and focuses on trade secret and patent litigation involving the Internet, software, semiconductors, set-top boxes, smartphones, light-emitting diodes (LEDs), pharmaceuticals, biotechnologies, and medical devices. His legal experience also includes successfully second chairing a trade secrets arbitration case involving silicon technology, litigating in the areas of copyrights and trademarks, preparing and prosecuting U.S. electrical engineering patent applications, drafting patentability, freedom-to-operate and non-infringement opinions, as well as patent interference in the area of biotechnology. David has written and lectured on Internet software applications, Hatch-Waxman/ Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) litigation, and stem cell gene therapy. He is currently President of the Silicon Valley Intellectual Property Law Association.
Prior to his legal career, David worked in product management at Internet/software startups Zaplet Inc., and TimeDance.com, funded by Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and the Mayfield Fund, respectively. He focused on developing platforms for online collaborative communications. David also previously led the U.S. product management team for Corbett's Rotor-Gene (real-time PCR) product line and helped develop the first online problem sets at Stanford University.
David is committed to serving pro bono clients. He has represented pro bono clients at settlement conferences through the Northern District Court Assisted Settlement Conference Program. He has also worked on civil rights and immigration pro bono matters with the Asian Law Caucus and the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights, including successfully representing an HIV+ transgender Mexican client in immigration court.
David was selected by the Daily Journal as one of the top "Five Associates To Watch" in California in 2013. He also has been named a 2013 "Lawyer on the Fast Track" by The Recorder and a "Rising Star" in Intellectual Property Litigation by Super Lawyers magazine since 2009. He is the recipient of the Bar Association of San Francisco Barristers Club "2012 Diversity Award," Minority Bar Coalition’s 2009 "Rising Star Award" and the 2009 American Bar Association Section of Litigation’s "Outstanding Subcommittee Chair Award."
David is fluent in spoken Taiwanese and Chinese Mandarin and has successfully represented numerous Taiwan-based companies.
- Selected by Daily Journal As One of Top “Five Associates To Watch” in California, 2013
- Selected by The Recorder as a "Lawyer on the Fast Track," 2013
- Santa Clara Law Young Alumni "Rising Star" Award, 2013
- Listed in Super Lawyers Magazine as a "Northern California Rising Star," 2009 - 2012
- Santa Clara County Bar Association “Barrister of the Year," 2010
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation Committee Co-Chair, 2009 - 2012
- Asian American Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2012 - present
- Bar Association of San Francisco (BASF), Board of Directors, 2010 & 2011
- BASF Barristers Club, Board of Directors, 2009 - 2011; Diversity Director, 2009 - 2010
- BASF Justice & Diversity Center (JDC), Board of Directors, 2013 - present
- Bay Area Lawyers for Individual Freedom (BALIF), Board of Directors, Co-Chair, 2010 - 2012; Treasurer, 2008 - 2010
- Minority Bar Coalition, Co-Chair, 2009 - 2010
- Santa Clara County Bar Association, Board of Trustees, 2007 - 2009
- Santa Clara University School of Law, Law Alumni Board of Directors, 2009 - present
- Silicon Valley Intellectual Property Law Association (SVIPLA), Board of Directors, 2008 - present, President
- William A. Ingram Chapter (American Inns of Court), Executive Committee, 2012 - present
- AIDS Legal Referral Panel (ALRP), Board of Directors
- Community Legal Services in East Palo Alto, Pro Bono Attorney
- Phillips Exeter Academy, Alumnus Admission Representative
- Townsend and Townsend and Crew LLP (Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP), San Francisco, CA, Associate, Litigation; Summer Associate
- Law Foundation of Silicon Valley, San Jose, CA, Law Clerk
- Judicial Extern to the The Hon. Howard R. Lloyd, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, San Jose, CA
- Perkins Coie LLP, Menlo Park, CA, Summer Associate
- Santa Clara University School of Law, J.D.
- Stanford University, M.S., Biological Sciences
- Harvard University, A.B., Biochemical Sciences
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- Chinese - Mandarin