David Burman, a partner in the firm's Commercial Litigation practice, has more than 30 years of experience in litigation, including antitrust, appellate, class action, consumer protection, constitutional, media, patent and intellectual property, privacy, and other cases. He also counsels clients in these and other areas. He has worked on many high-profile cases, including two U.S. Supreme Court arguments, the trial contesting the 2004 Washington State Governor's election, Costco Wholesale Corporation's precedent-setting antitrust and constitutional challenges to state wine and liquor laws, and the Yellow Pages publishers' successful constitutional challenge to municipal restrictions on distribution. He was national counsel in the Pharmaceutical AWP class actions in a federal MDL and more than a dozen state courts. He served as a lawyer representative to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference in 2003 - 2006 and 2009, was a speaker at the 2010 Conference and served on the Ninth Circuit Rules Advisory Committee. He was selected as a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and as a member of the American Law Institute, where he was an advisor in drafting the "Principles of Aggregate Litigation."
Dave has been chair of the firm's Commercial Litigation practice, has served on its management and executive committees, and has acted as client service partner for one of the firm's largest institutional clients.
- Selected by The Best Lawyers in America as "2012 Antitrust & First Amendment Lawyer of the Year"
- Listed in Benchmark Litigation’s Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys as a Local Litigation Star in Antitrust; Appellate and Intellectual Property
- Selected by Best Lawyers as "2011 Seattle Appellate Lawyer of the Year"
- Selected by Best Lawyers as "2009 Seattle Bet-the-Company Litigator of the Year"
- Listed in Chambers USA, "America’s Leading Litigation Lawyers" (highest ranked Washington commercial litigator)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America in Antitrust, Appellate, Bet-The-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, First Amendment Law, Patent Law and Technology Law, 1993 - present
- Listed in Washington Law & Politics, "Top Ten Washington Super Lawyers”
- Listed in Washington Law & Politics, "Washington’s Super Lawyers," 2003 - 2012
- Listed in National Law Journal, "Washington’s Top Ten Litigators”
- Listed in Lawdragon, "500 Leading Lawyers in America," 2007
- Recipient of awards from American, Washington, King County and Loren Miller Bar Associations; Legal Foundation of Washington (Goldmark Award); King County Bar Foundation; Leadership Tomorrow; University of Wyoming
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
(AV®, BV® and CV® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.)
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- American Law Institute, Principles of Aggregate (Class Action) Litigation, Adviser
- American Law Institute, Intellectual Property: Principles Governing Jurisdiction, Choice of Law, and Judgments in Transnational Disputes, Members Consultative Group
- Dwyer Inn of Court, Founding Member
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, Lawyer Representative to Judicial Conference; Rules Advisory Committee Member
- Equal Justice Coalition, Advisory Council Member
- Justice Byron R. White, U.S. Supreme Court, 1978 - 1979
- Hon. Spottswood W. Robinson, III, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, 1977 - 1978
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1977
Georgetown Law Journal, Editor-in-Chief
- University of Wyoming, B.A., 1974
- District of Columbia