Chicago partner Caryn Trombino represents clients facing a broad range of government investigations, and offers nearly a decade of seasoned experience in matters involving global anti-corruption and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). Caryn also regularly conducts internal investigations in anticipation of potential government scrutiny or other legal exposure.
Caryn previously served as an Attorney Advisor with the Ethics Division at the U.S. Department of Commerce in Washington, D.C., and she has represented individual and corporate clients before a variety of agencies, including the Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission—as well as Congressional inquiries.
In addition to undertaking both large-scale and targeted internal investigations across a broad range of entities, Caryn has conducted a variety of transactional due diligence reviews and risk assessments on behalf of multinational entities operating in markets around the globe, including in Russia, Serbia, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Korea, China, Malaysia, Italy, Argentina, Mexico, Pakistan, Iraq, the Dominican Republic, Haiti and India. Caryn regularly advises clients on the development and implementation of corporate compliance programs, as well as the maintenance of robust and effective internal controls, with an eye towards eliminating potential legal exposure under the federal securities laws.
Securities Litigation and White Collar Defense
- Conducted numerous internal investigations for FORTUNE 500 companies in matters involving possible violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practice Act involving subsidiaries and acquisition targets in emerging and other high-risk international markets.
- Conducted Foreign Corrupt Practices Act due diligence reviews, international risk assessments, and proactive reviews of foreign operations for various FORTUNE 500 multinational corporations.
- Represented former public company general counsel and corporate officer in connection with federal criminal indictment involving allegations of accounting fraud and money laundering.
- Represented public company chief financial officer in SEC revenue recognition investigation.
- Conducted internal investigation for a major university into a potential Federal False Claims Act violation relating to federal grant funding.
- Represents a FORTUNE 500 company in an ongoing federal grand jury investigation.
- Listed as an "Illinois Rising Star", White Collar Criminal Defense, as published by Law & Politics, 2012 - present
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft, LLP, Washington, D.C., Associate, 2006 - 2010
- U.S. Department of Commerce, Office of the General Counsel, Washington, D.C., Attorney Advisor, Ethics Division, 2004 - 2006
- Office of the Appellate Defender, New York, NY, Law Clerk (Clinic), 2004
- Reed Smith, LLP, Washington, D.C., Summer Associate, 2003
- New York University School of Law, New York, NY, Research Assistant, 2002 - 2003
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 2004
NYU Journal of Legislation & Public Policy, Senior Editor for Student Written Work
- University of Illinois, B.A., Humanities, summa cum laude
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois