Charles Sipos, a partner in the firm's Litigation group, focuses his practice on class action defense, intellectual property litigation, and appellate advocacy.
Charles has represented internet service providers, brick and mortar retailers, software companies, and video game manufacturers in defense of consumer class actions. He has developed particular expertise in the defense of class actions against food manufacturers whose health or nutritional claims are challenged. Charles has obtained dismissals and summary judgment based on federal preemption, lack of standing, failure to prove damages, and related defenses in federal and appellate courts throughout the country, including California, Illinois, and New Jersey.
In his intellectual property practice, Charles has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in disputes involving copyright, trademark, and Digital Millennium Copyright Act claims, and has experience counseling clients regarding protection and enforcement of their intellectual property rights and development of anti-counterfeiting programs.
Charles also has substantial appellate experience, and has authored briefing at all levels of the Washington and Federal appellate courts, including the United States Supreme Court. He has argued successfully before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the Washington Supreme Court.
- Co-recipient, Washington State Bar Association Award of Merit, 2011
- Co-recipient, Japanese American Bar Association Public Service Award, 2006
- Co-recipient, National Law Journal Pro Bono Award, 2006
- Co-recipient of Perkins Coie Pro Bono Award, 2003
- Co-recipient, 2007 King County Bar Association Outstanding Lawyer Award
- Listed in Washington Law & Politics, “Rising Stars of Washington Law," 2005 - 2008, 2010 - 2012
- Perkins Coie LLP, Seattle, WA, Associate, 2002 - 2007
- Perkins Coie LLP, Seattle, WA, Litigation Paralegal, 1997 - 1999
- Y.S. Chang & Associates, Seoul, South Korea, Director, International Operations, 1995 - 1996
- Hon. Betty B. Fletcher, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2007 - 2008
- Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D., Order of the Coif, 2002
Associate Editor, Vanderbilt Law Review
- University of Puget Sound, B.A., Communications, 1994
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington