Operating a business is no easy task. Competition is intense and businesses must adapt to new laws and new cultures as globalization spurs them to expand domestically and internationally. In addition, companies must be able to raise money when necessary in a timely and efficient manner, even when sources of finance may be tight. Meanwhile, a barrage of new laws and regulations requires executives to reassess both enterprise and personal risks associated with many of their decisions and activities. In this environment, businesses value law firms that offer broad investor and regulator contacts, extensive corporate finance experience and a thorough understanding of the law.
Business leaders rely on Perkins Coie business attorneys for sound advice and guidance on their legal needs. Our clients include emerging companies, closely held private companies, private equity funds, venture capital funds, public companies and financial institutions, all of which expect top-level service from a team of attorneys experienced across a range of business issues and knowledgeable in their specific industries.
Some of our business services include:
- Working with businesses to choose the most suitable legal structure, such as a partnership, corporation or limited liability company;
- Advising businesses that operate in the corporate form on governance issues raised by having a board of directors;
- Helping structure joint ventures, strategic alliances and other partnering arrangements;
- Protecting client interests by preparing and reviewing shareholder agreements, executive compensation arrangements, licenses, distribution and supply agreements, agreements for the purchase or sale of businesses and other kinds of business contracts; and
- Advising on the ever-changing reporting and governance requirements, such as Sarbanes-Oxley and FIN47, faced by publicly traded companies.
Our Business practice is comprised of nearly 200 attorneys who provide finance, transaction and counseling services for businesses ranging in size from start-ups to FORTUNE 50 companies. The experience we have gained from representing businesses of all types and sizes enables us to provide cost-effective advice that is in line with our clients’ strategic and economic objectives. In addition, as part of a full-service firm with offices across the country, we have the depth and breadth to advise on virtually every legal area important to businesses, including tax, real estate, intellectual property and antitrust.