Ben Straughan is a partner in the firm's Emerging Companies & Venture Capital practice. He assists high-growth technology, venture-backed, and emerging and early-stage companies in industries that include digital media (with an emphasis on advertising, lead generation, and consumer and business to business (b2b) internet products), mobile, gaming, e-commerce, media companies, software as a service (SaaS), hardware, optical and light-related companies, outsourcing and offshoring, and technology transfer spinouts. Ben advises companies in angel and venture capital and other finance transactions, board matters, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate and limited liability company formation and structuring. Ben began his legal career advising clients on tax matters.
Ben is a regular speaker on mergers and acquisitions, emerging companies and angel and venture financings. He is the past Chair of the board of directors of the Northwest Entrepreneur Network (NWEN) and Immediate Past-Chair of the Executive Committee of the Business Section of the Washington State Bar Association (WSBA) as well as a member of the Business Section's Partnership/LLC Committee.
Prior to joining the firm, Ben was an associate at the law firm of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom in Washington, D.C. Prior to law school, Ben practiced accounting as a CPA and continues to maintain his Washington State CPA license.
Connect with Ben via LinkedIn
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
(AV®, BV® and CV® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.)
- Washington State Bar Association (WSBA), Executive Committee of the Business Law Section, Immediate Past Chair, 2011 - 2012, Chair, 2010 - 2011; Chair, 2009 Mid-Year Meeting; Secretary, 2007 - 2008
- WSBA, Partnership/LLC Law Committee of the Business Law Section, Member
- University of Washington, Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Advisory Board Member
- Northwest Entrepreneur Network (NWEN), Chair of the Board, 2008 - 2009; Board Member, 2007 – 2010; Co-Chair, Breakfast Committee, 2009 - 2010, Co-Chair, Entrepreneur University Steering Committee, 2006
- The IndUS Entrepreneurs (TiE) Seattle, Board of Advisors, 2006 - 2007
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, Washington D.C., Associate
- Martin/Grambush, Kirkland, WA, Staff Accountant
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- University of Washington, B.A., Accounting