Partner (Beijing Office Representative; Shanghai Visiting Partner)
Aaron Wininger is a partner in the firm's Patent practice who counsels both U.S. and Chinese companies on portfolio development and preparation of their patent applications and office action responses. He has worked with clients in the areas of software, networks (wired and wireless), lasers, medical devices, semiconductors and physics.
Aaron prosecutes both Chinese and U.S. trademarks. He has drafted and prosecuted hundreds of U.S. and international patent applications in a broad spectrum of areas, including computer hardware and software, the Internet, multimedia distribution systems, computer games, digital and analog circuitry, and semiconductor design and fabrication, to name a few.
Most recently, Aaron represented a U.S. gaming company with operations in China, handling Series A and IP issues in China through to IPO; a U.S. scanning electron microscope company, handling their patent portfolio from incorporation through exit via acquisition, and a U.S. wireless company through acquisition. His knowledge of both the Chinese and American markets allows him to advise his clients as they expand their patent portfolios and look for investors to help the company grow.
Aaron has been in China for more than seven years and is conversational in Mandarin.
- American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai: IP Subcommittee of the Legal Committee
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property; China, Committee Member
- Shanghai AngelVest
- Thelen LLP, Shanghai, China, Partner
- Squire, Sanders & Dempsey LLP, Shanghai, China and Palo Alto, CA, Associate, 2000 - 2005; National Partner, 2006 - 2007
- Carr & Ferrell LLP, Palo Alto, CA, Associate, 1997 - 2000
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 1997
- Columbia University, B.S., Applied Physics, 1994
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Registered Foreign Lawyer with the Chinese Ministry of Justice