Alan Murphy is an associate with the firm's Environment, Energy & Resources practice. Alan focuses his practice on land use and development matters, including associated environmental review. He secures and defends land use entitlements, advises clients in preparing development applications and provides counseling during the due diligence period. Alan has experience in CEQA and NEPA litigation over project approvals. He also has worked on a citizens' initiative to amend a city's general plan, specific plan, zoning and other ordinances to accommodate a major development project.
Alan's clients have included developers, landowners, financial and educational institutions, energy companies and public agencies. His experience includes processing a proposal for a 1,950-acre wildlife preserve and 200-acre rural residential development in Santa Clara County, analyzing reuse rights for a former Hewlett-Packard campus in Mountain View, representing the City of Alameda in litigation related to a redevelopment proposal, and representing energy companies in litigation over major solar power projects in Southern California.
Active in the firm's pro bono efforts, Alan helped draft a U.S. Supreme Court amicus brief in support of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, on behalf of a group of Catholic nuns. He also has provided legal services to environmental non-profit organizations.
Alan is accredited as a LEED Green Associate and can assist clients in complying with U.S. Green Building Council certification requirements.
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Urban Land Institute
- San Francisco Planning and Urban Research Association (SPUR)
- Bingham McCutchen LLP, San Francisco, CA, Associate, Land Use and Development Group, 2010 - 2011
- The City and County of San Francisco, CA, Office of the City Attorney, Legal Intern, Land Use and Environmental Protection Team, 2006
- Hon. Richard R. Clifton, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2008 - 2009
- Yale Law School, J.D., 2008
Editor, The Yale Law Journal, Policy Editor, Yale Law & Policy Review
- Stanford University, B.A., Political Science, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California