Andy Gaona is an associate with the firm's Commercial Litigation practice, focusing on business litigation, investigations and white collar criminal defense, and election and constitutional law. He has assisted clients in various criminal and civil forfeiture matters, as well as white collar criminal investigations, including False Claims Act violations. He has experience in election law at both the state and federal level, representing candidates and political committees in both litigation and in an advisory capacity.
Andy's practice also includes assisting in the representation of clients involved in state and federal constitutional disputes, including the preparation of briefs before the Arizona Supreme Court and Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Additionally, he is often called upon to assist the firm's media clients in obtaining public records from state agencies.
Andy maintains an active pro bono practice, which has included litigating tort claims on behalf of a group of refugee farmers, preparing briefs in an asylum appeal, assisting in the preparation of a petition for post-conviction relief in state court, representing a lawful permanent resident appealing an order of removal in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and successfully assisting a high school athlete who sought to reinstate his eligibility to compete in interscholastic athletics.
- Los Abogados Hispanic Bar Association, Member
- Perkins Coie Brown & Bain, P.A., Phoenix, AZ, Summer Associate, 2009
- Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, Civil Justice Clinic Student Attorney, 2009 - 2010
- Cantelme & Brown, P.L.C., Phoenix, AZ, Summer Associate, 2008
- Hon. Andrew D. Hurwitz, Arizona Supreme Court, 2010 - 2011
- Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law Arizona State University, J.D., summa cum laude, John S. Armstrong Award, 2010
Executive Managing Editor, Arizona State Law Journal
- University of Arizona, B.A., Political Science and Spanish Literature, magna cum laude, 2006
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit