Energy - State Utility Regulation |
Utility companies rely on Perkins Coie attorneys to advise them on administrative and regulatory law, including representing them in litigation before administrative and judicial bodies, legislative drafting and advocacy, permitting and licensing, counseling public companies on disclosure practices and reviewing reports to the SEC and state regulators. Our lawyers also structure and negotiate business transactions in regulated industries. We regularly appear before state commissions on public utility regulatory matters affecting our clients in the natural gas and electric utility, telecommunications and water utility businesses, and we are well versed in regulatory interpretation issues and the enforcement implications that may arise from them.
As part of a full-service law firm, our regulatory attorneys often collaborate with attorneys from other practices, including Communications, Energy, Antitrust & Unfair Competition, Real Estate, Consumer Protection, Privacy & Security, Advertising, Marketing & Promotions, Labor & Employment, State & Local Tax, Environment & Natural Resources, Intellectual Property, Commercial Litigation and Political Law. With experience in state and federal courts across the country, we represent clients in a range of regulatory matters, from arguing disputes that arise from ambiguous statutory and regulatory language, to defending against customer complaints and enforcement actions. We also are actively involved in the courts and agencies with litigation and hearings over the interpretation of, authorizations for, or defense of permits.
Broad Range of Litigation Experience
We regularly litigate natural gas, electric and telecommunications rate cases and certificate cases before state public utility regulatory commissions. From fully litigated cases involving the entire range of utility issues to "paper hearings," our attorneys provide clients with experience, dedication and creativity to resolve complex, multiparty proceedings successfully.
We represent applicants and intervenors in litigation matters such as:
- Gas and electric general rate cases, and power or gas cost-adjustment or tracker cases;
- Energy facility siting and licensing proceedings;
- Pipeline certification proceedings;
- Gas storage facility certification;
- Accounting petitions, including petitions for approval to transfer property;
- Merger applications;
- Customer complaint cases and regulatory enforcement actions regarding the rates, terms or conditions of service or alleged tariff or other violations; and
- Judicial appeals of administrative decisions and permits.
Our experience with energy and telecommunications matters includes litigation in federal and state trial and appellate courts involving:
- Defense and prosecution of contract claims related to provision and procurement of energy-related products or services;
- Condemnation proceedings, easement encroachment cases, municipal franchise disputes and other litigation related to the development and maintenance of rights of way for transmission and distribution facilities or takings of utility property by governmental authorities; and
- Antitrust, fraud, tort or other claims related to the energy industry or provision of tariffed services.